Removing a Layer of Rubber Between Paint and Concrete on Balcony

I was planning on repainting my balcony floor and expected to simply scrape away the old paint. However, what I found was that the concrete had a layer of rubber between it and the paint. What is this stuff? How can I remove it? I tried a little spot, but even with a scraper, there is a lot of rubber left behind on the concrete. What is an easy way of removing all of this so I can get back to the concrete base?

By Julie B from Los Angeles, CA

I've never seen or heard of this particular problem before but what I can suggest from other experiences is to scrape off all you can and then use a metal scrub brush and water in a circular motion to remove the residue. Sometimes things just aren't easy but the effort is worth the final outcome. ;-)

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairSeptember 4, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete