Decorating a Balcony on a Budget

Category Outdoor Decor
Woman sitting on beautiful balcony
Whether you are a homeowner or apartment dweller decorating your balcony makes it a more enjoyable space to relax. This is a guide about decorating a balcony on a budget.

I had a blank slate. A balcony that faced west, with astroturf on the floor and a railing around, pretty standard. The first two shots are the "before".

Living on a fixed income, I had to get really creative. So, the first thing I did was "furnish" it. We have a room in our senior clubhouse where people leave things they don't need and pick up things they do. It's anonymous and discreet and very cool.

I found a nice patio chair in there and a matching table. I found a chair and two tables free or 1.00 at the local thrift store and set up everything to look nice and feel at home.

Now, I have yellow paint ($1.99) to make them really nice, but I have not had the time to paint them so you will just have to imagine them the same yellow as the plastic planters.

Next came the planters (24 for $15). I am an avid thrift store shopper, and find things at the local "stop and drop and shop" which is inside the gates of our recycling center. No one wants more land fill junk so the nicer things get left out and taken away.

I love anything repurposed and the odder the better for me. Old boots, bundt pans, light fixture covers, plates, glass jars, tins, cups, and bowls do me proud.

Next I had to fill them. Now some of you have no doubt heard me say "I can't grow anything but mold" so I don't try (although I am making some baby yellow tomatoes)!

So, using all thrift store plants and flowers (24 for $25), I filled every container I had. Some lay empty as I am going to embellish them with glass nuggets soon, but not many are "in transition".

I even wrapped some faux ivy around the top of the railing. Who knew they had little "loops" on the underside to attach them to just about anything?

With a milk crate and an old pillow, protected by a thick plastic bag, I made a foot stool.

I am including some of the reasons I spend as much time out there as I can. I just a need to sit in the outdoors and let these gorgeous sunsets take me away.

I hope you are inspired to do something "fun" without many "funds".
N-JOY!!

Total Time: 8-12 hours

Yield: 1

That is a wonderful job you did on a dime, I like it! What fun to get creative. Thanks for all the pictures along the journey.