Patio and Balcony Gardening

A plant stand with shelves can really add space to your balcony garden. I purchased this stand at a thrift store and I have nine plants on it.

I have a small balcony and I'm always looking for ways to maximize my growing space.

5 More Solutions

Living in an apartment, I've tried community gardens. I am not a great fan of it, because I actually had to commute to the garden, which was time consuming and cost gas, which defeated the purpose for me. I tried other options. I have two balconies, one faces west the other east, so great sun exposure.

Condo Gardening - container veggie garden on a balcony

Living in an apartment or condominium in the city doesn't mean you can't enjoy the pleasures of gardening. As long as you have a small balcony or patio and access to an adequate amount of light, you can easily create a modest-sized garden.

Patio Planter 1

The thing we missed most when we moved from the country to a city apartment was our home-grown tomatoes. So we planted some on our balcony! Remember they don't have natural drainage, so allow for that and for fertilizer.

Potted Tomatoes on a Balcony

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you have no garden space, even a sunny window ledge can hold several pots of herbs for kids to water and tend. Or for patio containers, check out the many kinds of miniature vegetables that nurseries now stock, such as a tiny green bell pepper variety called Jingle Bell Peppers. They're great fun to grow.

What type of soil do you suggest for a large fifth floor patio garden in a high rise? It is a vegetable garden.

By Nora McKernan

Answers

Bags of miracle grow vegetable blend. Leave the bags intact and cut small "X" in the top of the bag; plant startings through the "X" and lightly water. By keeping the bag intact, you'll save a lot of clean up work, the bag will retain moisture and the "steam" will help the plants grow. Good Luck!

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJanuary 20, 2013
🌻
🐛
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Patio-and-Balcony-Gardening.html