How to Make a Crochet Faux Hornets' Nest

Category Patterns
This crochet hornet nest may work to discourage these stinging insects from building a real nest on your deck or balcony. This is a guide about how to make a crochet faux hornets' nest.

Hornets and wasps are territorial. When one sets in the other pretty much doesn't. So, to keep both away from my balcony, I crocheted a faux hornets' nest to keep my balcony "nasties" free.

You can buy inflatable ones or patterns for these, but I made my own.

Find inflatable ones here: https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Wasp-Natural-Non-Toxic-Deterrent/dp/B000W93LUU/?tag=thrif06-20

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1

Source: I have seen patterns for these but made my own.

• 2 oz gray or tan yarn ($.25)
  • size J hook
  • scissors
  • 10-15 plastic bags
  • darning needle

1. With your yarn, chain 2 and make 12 more half doubles and join. By kind of "passing over" the chain 2 and slip stitching in the first stitch of the first half double, you are making a smoother join. Thus the 13 actually comes out to be 12.
  2. For rows 2-8 increase the number of half doubles by 12 for second, 12 for third and so forth. In other words, make 24 for row 2, 36 for row 3, 48 for row 4, etc.
  3. Ad

4. By row 8 you should have the same base as you would for a hat. Now, you begin making a half double in each around for about 12 rows.
  5. I used a stitch where I randomly used the two in the stitch below and the back loop "and the loop behind that one" for some of each row. This not only gives it a look of authenticity, but makes it stronger.
  6. Ad

7. When I say "the loop behind it" I mean that loop you can't see, but can catch with your hook. I never trust using just one loop of the stitch I am working in, as it stretches too much.
  8. As for "authenticity", I mean that no two nests are the same. So this makes them seem "real".
  9. When your work is about 9" long, begin decreasing by 2 per row. This means you make a stitch into the next stitch, draw up one loop, then do that again for the next stitch and draw them both together. This decreases your stitches as you go. Leave enough room to stuff with bags. Make the bags a bit "un-uniform" as they make it more authentic, too.
  10. Ad

11. Leave an 8" or so tail and then use your darning needle to weave the tail around the edge and draw string it closed. Keep a small loop to hang. N-JOY!!
    PS: I highly recommend doing a good coat of either shellac or Scotchgard. This will keep it nice for summers to come!