Wasp and Hornet Photos

Category Bees
Despite their negative reputation, wasps and hornets can be quite beautiful and make an excellent photo subject. This is a guide about wasp and hornet photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This red wasp was just peering over the top of this leaf on a bush at me fully aware that I was taking pictures of it. Its wings were injured making it accessible for me to get so close to it.

I am allergic and I know that these wasps are generally mean but with its wings injured, he couldn't fly to get away from my camera lens. His head followed my movement when I moved around the bush for a different angle so I have no doubt that he knew I was there.

By lovingnature

Red wasp on yellow flower.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Paper wasps try to build a hive on my patio every year. Here I have some pictures of the queen building the hive; you can even see first egg! She was actually friendly and never tried to attack me.

The queen would stop building her hive and follow my camera! I was so looking forward to watching the hive progress, however it disappeared one day after some harsh winds.

By Ivy F.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Photo Description
This is more for a chuckle than anything. We are all so worried about the bees I wonder if it's not that they are becoming a bit gullible.

I was out on the deck the other day taking a photo and a bee flew up to and landed on some faux flowers from my hose decoration. He seemed busy and content enough to let me take a photo of him.

I don't know how long it took him to realize his pollination "efforts" were "fruitless" (sorry I just couldn't resist). But it sure made for a great photo!

Photo Location
Sutherlin, OR
My balcony, April 14, 2017

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Today I had to "Hurry and bring the camera, Mom! You gotta check out this bug and take pictures of it", said my 6 year old daughter.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

This yellow jacket stayed on my porch for at least an hour one day. He was so friendly that I was able to get multiple shots of him.

I thought he looked really pretty when he buzzed over and landed on one of my husband's young viola blossoms.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

I was very surprised one day when a rather non-aggressive wasp landed on the viola plant that my husband has growing on our front porch. These wasps have been nesting in one side of our home.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Wasp on our raspberry tree.

By lovingnature from Maryville, TN

Wildlife: Wasp

Answers:

Wildlife: Wasp

And I really thought I was the only person who finds beauty in a simple wasp! Thanks for sharing your picture with us. (04/30/2010)

By Pamela Melon

Wildlife: Wasp

Wasps get in on our enclosed patio and I have a "Bug Buster" that I use to suck them up and then I let them go outside. We also get the big black and yellow "furry" bumblebees in our yard and I love to watch them buzzing in and out of the flowers. They especially like my rhododendron bush. (05/02/2010)

By Maryeileen