Freeze Dog Treats in Ice Cubes

After asking vet and consulting many web-sites, I have come to the conclusion that two or three, sort-of melted ice cubes are cooling and fun for dogs to chew or lick. I got an old-fashioned ice cube tray and filled each compartment with one half water.

Next I put different treats into they tray: small left over meat bones that melt and are still tasteful, peanut butter, yogurt, and even small sticks that they can discover. Of course, these are outdoor treats, but the dogs love them. I only give one or two at a time.

The German Shepard puppy (a big! seven month old) loves dirty Kleenex, so once in a while I put bits in one of his ice cubes. Although too much chewing in ice can cause enamel erosion on dogs and humans, I have been assured that a little of this is OK. Just remember to fill ice trays with half water. After the first couple of times they got the hang of it and now lick until they find their hidden treat.

By Judy from Memphis, TN

Awesome tip. Thanks.

I do this too. But I fill the tray with half water, half chicken or beef broth. Then I put a treat in it and freeze it. My dogs aren't wild about just the ice but they love the broth. Most times I use my own broth since I make my own soups for the freezer, but if I don't have any I'll use store-bought. I just look for some that's got as little salt or sodium as I can find.

Down here in the Southeast where the summers get really hot, my dogs really appreciate these specail treats to help cool them off on hot days.

Pets DogsSeptember 8, 2010
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
Frozen Bouillon
Homemade Frozen Bouillon Cubes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice