Frugal LivingBetter Living

Thrifty Living Advice From World War II Survivors

Could we please have information from survivors of WW II on thrifty living? - before there's no-one left to pass on the information?

Thank you!

Carol from South Africa

i was born during the Blitz of Liverpool and i do remember some things that my Mother told me, what is it that u would like to know as some of it comes in handy as of today when the power goes off how to cook on an open fire and there was some funny times like going into a Bomb shelter when the air raid sirens went off only to find it didn't have a roof on it

i would love to know just how you survived. were there really recipes that were cheaper to make with the things you had on hand. i hear people say that there are cheaper recipes but they all have beans in them.

I was a small child during WWII but I do remember that everyone who had the least bit of backyard grew vegetables. It was called a Victory Garden. My MIL told me how she saw a sign in a restaurant about putting sugar in your coffee. Something like "Use just a little bit and stir like H-LL".

hi there, i would like to know what info you are looking for meaning from the american home front or from european survivors , or concentration camp survivors.

patty g

Editor's Note: I think they want thrifty living advice from anyone who lived through WWII. I don't think the location is important, just what we can learn from them.

yes thats it. i just hear so many people say so and so lived thru the war and they are so thrifty.

I am a senior and still use recipes that my mother used way back when. One recipe calls for stewed tomatoes, cooked egg noodles and hamburger. The other one was used during the mess halls at war sites. This was cooked and drained hamburger with white sauce. Spoon this combination over toast or bread. To make white sauce. In a bowl combine alittle flour and water to make a thick sauce and add to the hamburger.