Crunchy Stuffing Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for stuffing that is baked in the oven instead of the turkey that turns out crunchy? I remember having this as a kid at a relatives house, it was so good, but don`t know how it was prepared.

Tammy from Missouri

An idea for you--

Make your stuffing how you might normally make it... but then pull it out of the turkey or the pan that you are baking it in and put it in a roasting pan.

Place this into the oven and put your oven onto 425. Let this cook without a cover for about 10 minutes, and it should be nice and crunchy on top.

I've always just put regular recipe stuffing mix in a shallow baking dish at 350 degrees for 30-45 min because inside the bird is too moist for my taste. Also, Rachael Ray demo'd this on her TV show yesterday: add a beaten egg to preferred stuffing recipe and mix; put scoopfuls in greased muffin tin and bake for crunchy "stuffing muffins". Go to her website for details.

any stuffing recipe that isn't too wet and baked in a shallow pan or muffin tins should have a "crusty" texture.

Have you tried crockpot stuffing? I find it gets crunchy on top and is moist on the bottom, something for everyone.

Crock Pot Stuffing

2 cups chopped onions

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery

1/4 cup butter

1 tablespoon ground sage

1 teaspoon ground marjoram

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon savory

1/2 teaspoon thyme

12 cups lightly toasted bread, cubes

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock*

In a large fry pan saute onions, celery and apple in butter until onion is just translucent.

Stir in sage, marjoram, salt, pepper, savory and thyme.

Combine vegetable mixture with the bread cubes and parsley.

Toss well.

Pour stock over mixture, tossing well.

Spoon into your crock-pot.

Cover and cook on high for one hour.

Reduce to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours,

* If you have vegetarians in the crowd use vegetable stock.

Here is my recipe

in butter cook 1/2 onion

1/2 cup celery until clear.

In large bowl combine onion, celery,

l pkg. corn bread stuffing mix

l pkg.cubed stuffing mix, herb seasoned.

pinch of sage, pinch of thyme

l can chicken broth

mix all together and spread on to cookie sheet

Bake 350-375 for 30 min or until dry and crunchy.

We take a large iron skillet and bake one or 2 of the cake type of cornbread, no sugar in the recipe. Crumble this in a large dishpan or bowl and add however many pieces of dried, day-old bread or toast to this you need to feed your crowd. Much of this depends on how many you are serviing. We usually have a large crowd, 20 to 30 or more. Dice a stalk of celery, or less for your needs, a large onion, and add these to the bread mixture. Pour a large can of store-bought chicken broth or the broth off your turkey. Mash all this together to a fine consistency. Season w/salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and - it's always a debate every year - we add sage. We don't measure any of these really - liberal w/the salt and pepper, poultry seas, and light on the sage. Part of our ritual is tasting the "raw" dressing for more or less of the seasoning. You want enough broth for the mixture to be a little soupy, but not overly so. This will create a crunchy "dressing" rather than "stuffing". My mother in law creates the exact same thing, but hates lumpy food, so she runs her celery and onions thru the blender to puree them. I don't think she puts sage in hers, though. I love them both. I hope this helps some. Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

I add chopped walnuts. chopped up water chestnuts to get the crunch which I love. You find the water chestnuts in cans in Asian section of grecery stores.

I forgot to say I am in Hallsville, MO (near Columbia).

Thanks, Annie.

I am in Columbia.

Thanksgiving Stuffing Being Made in a Large Saucepan
Stuffing Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Thanksgiving Side DishesNovember 15, 2006
Stove Top Stuffing
Recipes Using Stove Top Stuffing
Meat Stuffing
Mashed Potato and Ground Meat Stuffing Recipes
Delicious Stuffing
Tips for Making Delicious Stuffing
young woman feeding a treat to her horse
Horse Treat Recipes