Substitute Broth in Place of Milk

I've recently found out I'm lactose intolerant. One of my greatest discoveries is all the ways I can use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth in place of milk: mashed potatoes, gravies, soups, omelets, "creamed" dishes, etc. I use low sodium chicken broth most often.

For mashed potatoes, I use chicken broth, soy or olive oil margarine, unflavored non-dairy creamer, pinch of salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder. Even my picky husband likes them. For creamed dishes I'll use chicken broth and the creamer. The same for pancakes and biscuits.

Experiment; you'll find the amounts and combination you like. Broths and creamer are inexpensive if you buy store brands and stock up when they're on sale. Bonus: Helps in weight loss.

By Shirley from Sandusky, OH

My husband is lactose intolerant also and I am going to start doing this too!

Thanks for posting!

Hi Shirley, thanks for sharing your idea. I like the idea of using broth in the mashed potatoes. Many people who appear to be lactose intolerant can handle cheese or yogurt better than they can handle milk. You might try using the water from the cooking of the potatoes and then use some cream cheese, yogurt, or sour cream to power up your recipe. You might also try goat milk. It's got smaller molecules and is more easily digested. Raw cow's milk is a great option if you can find it in your area. I often have trouble with milk and ice cream but never with raw milk. Tastes so much better too.

I can't recommend using non-dairy creamer in anything. Food is not supposed to be created in a factory.

Good health to you and yours, Dandelion

I also use juice of all kinds. Match up your flavor. If you just want small amounts, go to the baby food section and pick up juices of all flavors there that are not found in the juice section of the grocery.

Pancakes make with apple juice is delicious. My kids don't even use syrup. We add a little cinnamon to the mix as well!

Remember, many pre-made mixes at the store are made with milk products, from boxes potatoes, soups, breads, cereals, etc. So good to figure out the intolerance or allergic action of the milk.

jug of milk
Substitutions for Milk
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJanuary 14, 2010
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk