Cleaning an Iron's Soleplate

By MARIE 1 5

How do I clean the soleplate of my iron?

MARIE from Dinwiddie, VA

Filter Sort

By charlotte 1 Flag

A dryer sheet works great for cleaning the soleplate. Just heat your iron as you normally would. You'll need a couple of clean rags too, place dryer sheet on rag and iron until iron is clean. Iron on a clean rag to remove dryer sheet residue...works great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Using a well dampened large sponge or rag on a heated iron works great, too :-) Just be sure, for safety sake, to unplug iron just before beginning cleaning ... Have been cleaning my irons that way for 45 years :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By katrina 5 Flag

i always tear open a brown paper grocery store bag; & on HIGH heat of iron "iron" the paper bag; for some reason this has always worked for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

iron on wax paper worked for me

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan M. 7 77 Flag

I use Spray N Wash with great success. I just spray it on a cold iron and rub with a rag. That's the only thing I use Spray N Wash for!

Susan in Omaha

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have forgotten what it is called, but at Wal-Mart near where they sell ironing board covers you can get a cleaner that is wonderful if your iron has a lot of gunk on it. You spread the tube of cleaner on an old towel and run the iron over it. Works wonders.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

OMG! Thanks! The dryer sheets worked great! It was a stubborn mess and it took a few sheets but looks brand new now!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I had fusible web stuck to my iron and burned on bad and nothing so far got it off not even the dryer sheets tht seemed to make it worse. So I wasn't sure anything would work.

Boy was I WRONG, I tried a MR Clean Magic Eraser and it got it ALL off! Took a bit of elbow grease but the sole plate is shiny and looks brand new and with no scratches.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Removing Black Marks on Iron Soleplate

By clubfoot 2 2

How do you remove black marks off the bottom of a electric iron?

By clubfoot from Trimdon Station, TS29

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Plug the iron in and heat it to high. In the meantime take a thick terry cloth rag, fold it in quarters or more (this is to help keep you from burning yourself) get it wet, wring it out 'almost' all of the way. Then 'unplug' the iron and start rubbing the plate with the wet rag. Most of the time this works on the first try. I've only had one time that I had to do it two or more times. This works for hair curling and straightening irons to remove hair product buildup too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsJune 19, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Someone curling hair with a pink and black curling iron.
Cleaning a Curling Iron
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:10:47 PM on 10.0.2.142 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswers
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings