What Discarded Items Are Beneficial to Plants?

Are banana peels, eggshells and coffee grounds really beneficial to plants? Are there any other discarded natural items that can be helpful?

Sheila from Olive Branch, MS

Yes to all of those, plus any trimmings from vegetables and fruit. torn up cardboard, crumpled up newspapers, lawn clippings, any dead plants etc. If you are given flowers, once past their best, add them to your compost. They all rot down and in 6 to 12 months you will have wonderful rich, non smelly compost for your garden. If you can dig over and turn the heap a few times it will do so much good, helping it on its way to perfection. Good luck.

I pour extra left over ice tea in my houseplants. They seem to like it.

Anything but animal meats or grease is good for your plants. Even leftover fish, shrimp -- even the "guts" of fish if you have caught your own!

Yes, I throw all kinds of goodies like that on my plants. This is the best year of my roses and I have been putting the peels, shells, watermelon even around it. In a few weeks you will see the difference.

Put them in a compost heap with a fence or chicken wire around it or in a compost bin to keep dogs, etc. from eating the garbage. Coffee grounds can be harmful or fatal to a dog as can cocoa bean mulch. Compost it all and then use it after it has turned into "gardener's gold".

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 5, 2008
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Vegetables growing in a raised bed.
Companion Planting Tips
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
🎄
🍂