Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

My mother is throwing herself a 50th birthday party and hasn't left much for me, my brother, and my father to do. She hates surprises and it's too late to try and put together a photo album or something. We have a small budget (just being honest). If anyone can please give me some guidance as to what we could do for her that would put a smile on her face, please let me know. Thanks.

By DominiqueP from Atlanta, GA

If she has pierced ears, get her a pair of small earrings (pearls are nice). If she wears necklaces, a small nice necklace would be a special gift. If nothing else works, a small box of candy would be appreciated also. Stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target or Walgreens will have what you need.

Buy her 50 of her favorite candy, i.e. peppermints, or chocolate kisses. Or find a penny from every year that she has been alive. Do other 50s like paper clips, pencils, pens, etc and put it all in a special basket to give to her. 50 flowers!

For a friend of mine who loved sewing, I put together 50 blocks of fabric and rolled it up for her to use whenever she was ready.

Have fun with the number 50!

Send each guest a small cellophane bag,and a piece of curling ribbon, think corsage bag, and ask them to put 50 of something in it and tie with a ribbon. Suggestions of 50 pennies, 50 peppermints, pretzels, bobby pins, little silly toys like small cars, As guests arrive have a large bowl like a punch bowl, large snifter, etc to pile all the bags in!

Don't know if anyone suggested it or not, but have someone (if there are gifts) write down each gift and who gave it to her, get someone else to take a picture of her face when she opens the gift and also have someone take pictures all throughout the party. Put the pictures and such into an album for her. You can also get a notebook and have each guest write something about her: either a fun event, important one or just something nice this is the type of gift that she can go back and relive her "party" anytime she feels like it. It also gives her a way to remember friends who are far away or gone as the years go by.

For big birthdays, 50,60,70, etc. I've always written a list of " 50 (60, 70...) things I love about you. I write about trips we've taken, gifts they've given me, times they've made me feel special as well as individual qualities about them I admire. These lists have always been a hugely treasured gift from anyone I've given one to. It's not often, if at all, that any of us every reads 50 or more nice things about ourselves. Have fun with it! ( And it's free!)

I must tell you about my 50th. My children did give me a surprise party and a lot of people were there. But the special gift I got from my children and grandchildren, was a video of my 50 years of life done in 20 minutes. My family play acted my life on video, which covered part of my childhood right through to 50. It was funny, and emotional all at once. I will never forget that, and still have the video now at my age of 63.

I don't know your budget or your mom, but I know things I'd enjoy: a "spa day," which could be done at home if anyone is good with hair, nails, etc. Your local beauty college or other vocational school may also be an option for a "beauty makeover." Wash, condition and trim Mom's hair, give her a head massage or hand/foot massage and manicure/pedicure.

What I requested from my gals last Christmas was simply a lunch out. The local Chinese buffet was inexpensive, as is a local Mexican place we visited on my son's wedding day.

If you're of a poetic or literary bent, you might write Mom a little poem or essay. It only costs time, and she'll treasure it. If several of your family/friends are like minded, maybe you could collaborate on a collection. I made a little poem booklet years ago using MS Publisher. All the templates are there, it'll just take some thinking to get the right number of pages for a good print. By the way, happy birthday to your mom!

Ah I think that's pretty difficult for you, girl. Maybe you can give her anything like a stuff toy, or a picture collage of her.

50th Birthday Party
50th Birthday Gift Ideas for Women
Holidays and Parties Gifts BirthdayNovember 10, 2010
50th Anniversary Gift Box
50th Anniversary Gift Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Gift basket with green ribbon.
Making a Mother's Day Gift Basket
Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas
🎉
🎄