What is the Best Filler to Use in a Homemade Heat Pack? - Categories:

AdviceCrafts

What is the Best Filler to Use in a Homemade Heat Pack?

I want to make my own heat packs as Christmas gifts. Some have posted that they use rice, others use flax, some use oatmeal, etc. The ingredients don't cook or go rancid, etc. after use?

Also, which ingredient can I use for scent? Some say lavender turns after being heated and there were a few scents that didn't work at all.

Help!

By BeachMouse from Canada

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I like to use rice, and you can scent with coffee beans, vanilla, coco, hazelnut. They happen to be my favorite coffee drink. Wild long grain rice.

Good luck, BD

I use buckwheat hulls and rice. I use lavender and rosemary essential oils and find the scent lasts a long time. You can always renew the scent if you close it with a few buttons or velcro. I sell alot of the neck wraps at craft shows. You do need to use all cotton material for these to be microwave safe though.

I've been wanting to make some for gifts also, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was planning to use either flax seeds or buckwheat, which I've heard works better. I wouldn't want to use rice, because it seems like it would 'cook' it if you keep heating it, then smell bad.

As a coincidence, I got this instructional just today (from another newsletter I get) on how to make 'baby' heat packs. The are so cute, I may have to make a couple for my little grandson who seems to have ear infections quite often.

http://thedillspiel.blogspot.com/2010/06/hot-piping.html

The only thing I use is rice, beans or both. No, they do not go bad or rancid as I've had mine for at least 5 years and use it over and over.

September 5, 2011 Flag

What heat pack filler stays hottest the longest?

By Christiana

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I asked the same question months ago and got basically the same responses from many people. They mostly all said to fill a sock with either rice or beans and microwave for I think 30 seconds. Everyone said this would stay hot for at least a couple of hours.

I tried every tip I got. Not a one stayed hot for more than 10-15 minutes.

The best method I found was to go to WalMart (other places carry them too) and get a stick-on pad that gets hot. Those do stay hot for many hours. Some even say 8 hours but have lasted up to and beyond 12 hours for me. They aren't too expensive, although they aren't what I'd call cheap either. But they do work and when you're in the pain I was in at the time, it's worth it. Check it out and try them.

One note however. The ones that say hot and cold, those don't work at all. The one I use the brand starts with a T (can't remember now and I'm out of them) and comes in a red box. I think they run $5-6 for a box of I think 3 or 4.

If you're going to be immobile for a while I'd just use a heating pad. But if you're going to be up and about, these pads are wonderful.

I thought you were supposed to use like field corn, the kind you feed birds, in these, and you microwave it for 3 minutes, or the one made for me says that anyway. 30 seconds won't even get them warm.

I use a mixture of rice and beans and my heat pack always stays warm at least an hour.

Crafts AdviceNovember 27, 2010
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 4:05:07 AM on 10.0.1.22 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.