Cleaning an HVAC System

My heating and air conditioning unit, that blows the air to the house is very dirty. Can I clean it myself until I can afford to hire someone to do it?

By justmyopn from Tulsa, OK

This can be very dangerous for you and the unit ! I would suggest you use a shop vac and brush until you can get a pro on site. Remember this is 220 volts of electricity. It will hold you.

If you are only intending to clean out the ductwork, it is not dangerous. A lot also depends on whether or not you can take any of it apart in the basement, assuming you have a basement. There are two areas I can easily take mine apart and I shop vac them out every autumn and scrub them out with a mop as far as I can reach. I can't reach all the way to the furnace, so I don't have to worry about that, but I figure everything I get out of them helps. You'll be surprised how much dust you find in there!