Keeping Cilantro (Coriander) Fresh

Any tips about how to keep cilantro fresh and crisp? I try to dry it and it becomes damaged, then smelly and mushy. If I leave it alone (moist), it gets smelly and mushy. I've tried green bags, paper towels, leaving the container open in the fridge to pull moisture out, but nothing seems to work.

By Sandra from San Diego, CA

I wash it, let it drain. While still damp I put in a gallon zip lock bag and use a straw and blow as much air "in" as possible. Put in fridge. It keeps for two weeks. It takes up a lot of room, but it's worth it to me.

I buy fresh with roots roots on. Put Cilantro in water in glass container. Cover with a brown paper bag. I purchase herbs at Farmers Market. Good luck.

Anonymous

I place any I know I won't use within a couple of days in a freezer bag, make sure as much air as possible is removed, and place in the freezer. It keeps really well for up to a couple of months and the beauty of doing that is that it crumbles easily with no need for chopping and still has a fresh flavor ;-)

http://simplyre  her_fresh_herbs/

I use a wide mouth jar, with about 1 inch of water. Trim the stems of the cilantro, and store in fridge in the jar. Put fresh water in about every 3 days. I do this for most fresh herbs that are not in my garden. Also works very well for asparagus.

I wash it first and put it on paper towel for like 2 to 3 hours on paper towel for dry. allow paper towel soak water on the cilantro, and then take another paper towel & put on it like separately not bunch of the cilantro. just spread on paper towel. and wrap it and put in one plastic bag and in fridge. Try it. I always do like that, and it keeps fresh about a week and half.

Grow a bunch from seeds and keep it in a sunny kitchen window then clip as much you need.

Wash and wrap in a paper towel (wet keeps paper towel moist ) then wrap in foil. Mine has stayed fresh for 4 weeks that way. My sister-n-law gave me this tip. Love it