Making Gourd Bird Houses

Some time ago, someone posted pictures of bird houses made from gourds. I would like instructions. For example, do I cut the hole and clean out the insides, or do I just hang them and let the birds do it all? Also, I would like creative ways to suspend them.

By catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

Chcek out this site or read below.

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Making-Gourd-Birdhouses.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making Gourd Birdhouses takes a little patience, but can be well worth the time and effort.

Watching birds nest in your own homemade gourd birdhouse, will give you, the birdwatcher, just a little more joy and satisfaction in providing for our birds.

When to Harvest

Harvest a hard-shell gourd when the vine has withered. Be careful to leave the stem attached.

It's best to cut the stem with pruning shears so you don't bruise it. Hang it in a sunny spot or put it on newspaper in a warm dry place for 3 - 6 months.

If it is lying on a flat surface, be sure to turn frequently, A proper size for birdhouses has a diameter of about 8 to 13 inches. Wash thoroughly in water, rinse in a solution of 1 part bleach and 10 parts water, and dry with a towel.

Drying Process

As it dries, it will begin to mold. This is a natural part of the drying process. If dried indoors it will grow more mold and should be frequently wiped clean with the bleach solution.

When making gourd birdhouses discard any that become soft or wrinkled. To check if it is dry, give it a good shake - if the seeds rattle, you can begin making your birdhouse.

Making the Birdhouse

Soak the gourd for 15 minutes in hot soapy water, and then scrape with a dull knife to remove the outer skin and mold.

Scrub in the water with fine steel wool. Rinse it well and allow to dry thoroughly.

To locate the birds entrance hole, hold it by its stem between your index finger and thumb and let it hang. Mark a center point along the outermost part of the curve so the hole faces straight out. Not toward the sky or the ground.

The entrance hole can be easily drilled with the proper-size hole saw or by using a keyhole saw.

Wear a face mask, as the dust is a caustic substance. Drill 2 sets of holes about 2 inches from the neck for hanging and ventilation.

Also drill 2 or 3 1/4 inch holes in the bottom for drainage. Drill the size hole necessary to encourage the birds you want to attract.

Remove the seeds and membrane of the gourd through the entrance hole with a long-handled metal spoon, screwdriver or a wire coat hanger.

Dip the whole thing in a wood preservative for 15 minutes, weighting it down with a brick. Then remove it and hang it up to dry for several days.

Sand the gourd smooth and paint with and oil-based primer. Allow it to dry thoroughly. Paint the house with exterior enamel paint (do not use water based latex paint as it will peel) Apply 2 coats.

Decorate anyway you like and hang it in the proper place to attract the birds you want.

Wow! Karyn01 that was a fantastic write up! You spelled it out better than I've ever seen! I know I'm definitely going to follow your directions!

Thank you, Karyn01, best directions ever! Can't wait for fall so I can get started on my "winter bird house project".

Birdhouse made from gourds.
Making a Gourd Birdhouse
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesAugust 13, 2009
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
House sparrow on a fence.
Keeping House Sparrows Out of Bluebird Houses
Bird House
Keeping Bees Out of Bird Houses
Gourd Santas
Making Gourd Santas
🎄