Recipes Using Bitter Melon
Bitter melons, a member of the cucumber family, can be found in many parts of Asia and are called by many names; bitter gourd, wax gourd or karela (India). This vegetable is used medicinally and also in many recipes.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
May 21, 2019
Read More Comments
Bitter gourd, bitter melon or most commonly called "ampalaya" in my country, is always compared to the heart broken. Most people are known to be bitter after a heartbreak. Ampalaya is the most bitter, but better than any other veggies because of its health benefits. This recipe is my favorite ampalaya dish.
- 1 large ampalaya (bitter gourd)
- 2 tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut ampalaya in half and scrape off the seeds using a spoon.
- Slice them very thinly.
- Saute garlic and onion, until garlic turns slightly brown.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Then add the ampalaya. Stir but not too frequently as this will cause to spread the bitter taste of the ampalaya if you do so.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until it turns translucent.
- Pour beaten eggs. And stir fry for one minute or until egg is cooked.
- Serve with sweet fruit on the side such as ripe mango slices.
Karela bitter melon is a tropical or subtropical fruit that grows on a vine. Try it fried with egg on rice.
A sour squash with great health benefits can make a delicious soup when stuffed with ground meat. This page contains stuffed bitter melon soup recipes.
Bitter melon is believed to have numerous health benefits. This egg scramble is a great way to incorporate bitter melon into your diet.
This page contains a scrambled bitter melon and eggs recipe.
A unique, broth based soup that is easy to make and is a great use for winter melon. This page contains a winter melon soup with shrimp and mushrooms recipe.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.