Is Extended Use Of Fragrance Oils Harmful?

I've wondered if the oil fragrance diffusers of any type are actually dispensing an oil film that will eventually become sticky, adhere to furniture, cause environmental and health problems down the road...any opinions?

Of course, using it for a day won't do much, but what about using them for an extended period of time, like years?

Am basing this on the fact that they used to say to coat the inside of the nostrils with Vaseline to prevent colds, cut down on sore noses. Now research indicates that the stuff actually accumulates harmfully in one's lungs and is not expelled.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I am sure that the oil gets breathed, but I decided to get brave and use them, and I'm glad every time I step in the front door. What oil gets inhaled that contacts the nasal passages and upper lung passages will be gathered and swallowed, thanks to the cilia in the airways. I see no sign after six months of oil accumulating on any surfaces. My dry wood furniture could probably use some. Others might find it irritating, of course, but I will keep using the fragrance oil diffuser.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 14, 2007
Closeup of lily-of-the-valley flowers against green of leaves and blue sky.
Growing Lily-of-the-Valley
Woman Dealing with Broken Down Car
Buying an Extended Car Warranty
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Essential Oils
Glass of stout with hops scattered in foreground and keg in backgroung.
Storing Beer