Storing Quilts in Large Space Bags

I want to know from the quilt experts out there. How is a good way to store quilts? I just bought some of the large space bags (the ones you zip shut then remove the air with your vacuum) and put my quilts in them to store. Is this a proper way to store them for years down the road? I may be giving these to my grand children when they get married or get a home of their own some day. Will these bags prevent the white fabric from yellowing? I have them in a dark closet inside the bags.

Sewing Granny from Millbury, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Never ever store good quilts in plastic bags....make muslin pillowcase for each of them and then store in dark plasce. They should be refolded differently about every six months. Or roll them them up...less wear and tear on seams. Plastic could mildew the fabric.

This is correct advice. Make a pillowcase of muslin for each quilt. Fabric must breathe , never do you store quilts or any fabric in plastic that you value. Never put a quilt on a wooden quilt rack without muslin beneath it. The oils from the quilt rack would bleed on the fabric and ruin the qult without the protective layer.

Jill

I agree with all the information, but I would like to add that it might be a good idea to set some real cedar balls (NOT moth balls) in a small cloth bag and insert the small bag into the muslin bag containing the quilts, to deter any bugs that might want to live in your quilts.

Thank you for your information. I will follow your advise.

This won't help you, it's not an answer but another question. Does anyone know what causes this yellowing and how to get rid of it? I have a quilt that was made for me and it has very special meaning, but it has yellowed on the plain back side of the quilt. I'm very upset by this and I spent the weekend trying different things and rewashing it. Nothing helped. Thanks.

Sandy/Pittsburgh

Read reviews before you purchase.

Answer

Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 2, 2008
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Image of vintage quilt composed of triangles.
Caring for Quilts
Homemade Space Bags
Homemade Space Bags
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 4:43:09 PM on 10.0.1.216 in 693 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.