Using Space Bags

These plastic storage bags may be helpful to save space when storing blankets, linens or clothes. This guide is about using space bags.

We live in a camper all summer and one of the best things we have come up with is to use space storage bags that deflate with a vacuum. We can store our heavier clothes that we use at the beginning and very end of the season under the bed or even outside under the camper in these bags. They stay safe, clean, and dry.

This takes up less than half of the amount of space the clothes would usually take and gives us much more room in the camper than if we had to store them normally at full size. They can be used during the winter to store the linens and bedding and pillows so they won't be affected by the cold and weather. The larger bags are great for storing things under the trailer through the winter also.

We also pack clothes this way to travel on a long vacation, like a week or two, so we don't take up so much room in the car when we travel.

By Diane from Owego, NY

A few weeks ago I posted about using space bags to shrink down a giant stuffed animal for traveling from Ohio to Texas. It became an extended visit, lol, just returned home last week. Space bags were an even better idea for the return trip as the luggage got roughed up at the airport. Upon arrival, both hard cased bags, Samsonites, were taped shut, apparently from that big gorilla that handles the baggage. Since my things were enclosed in the space bags, nothing was lost or dirty. Love these things!

By Aunt Peg from Cortland, OH

I have bought 2 boxes of original Space Bags from Costco. None of the bags are holding air. It isn't rocket science. Could I really be doing something wrong? This is a sad day!

By Lynnie Bee

Answers

Call the store and explain your problem.

Costco is very good about taking returns even if you don't have the receipt. Get your money back.

We're sorry to hear you have had issues with Space Bag products deflating. Space Bag is committed to quality and we have recently made improvements in our line. All Space Bag products now come with a double zipper and Turbo Valve to vacuum out air 35% faster than before. We also guarantee that our products will be free of manufacturing defects for one full year from purchase date. If you would like to speak to our customer service department for an exchange, please call 1-800-469-9044 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Monday-Friday, PT). We hope you will consider Space Bag for your future storage needs.

Best,
Space Savers community correspondent
www.SpaceSaversCommunity.com

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has this problem (not glad for you though)! I really hate those things. I have bought them 4 times over the last 10 years (2 years ago is the most recent) and not one single time has it ever held for me! I thought I was doing something wrong because everyone else says how wonderful they are, but I have more luck with plain trash bags!

I loved mine at first. I am a military spouse so we move a lot. However, during the actual move most of the air came out and we even stored the space bags in plasic totes.

Most definitely talk to the space bags manufacturer. They are excellent in trying to help and get the problem fixed. I've used their bags for almost 8 years. They are, however, more for storing and not for being bounced around on a move (being military I, too, used them during the move). For regular storage I have been able to keep them in the bag for 3-4 months without having to revac or reseal.

It has been a long time since I have used a space bag and can find no instructions.
I thought you zip it up with the garment inside and then take vacuum cleaner nozzle, insert it in hole and it automatically lets the air out and shrinks it and you close it with the cover given with it. It is not working!

By g.m

Answers

That is how mine work. Are you sure you don't have a leak in it??

My space bags are inflating. What am I doing wrong?

Please help,
Diana

Answers:

Space Bags Keep Deflating

Forget it. I made the mistake of buying a lot of these and they just don't work. Makes me angry, they got my money and I got junk? (06/13/2005)

By Dotty

Space Bags Keep Deflating

Yeah, I have the same problem. They tend to develop little leaks in the plastic, or sometimes in the hole you vacuum the air from. It is really annoying, especially since they are supposed to stay deflated and flat! See if you can get your money back or at least a replacement. Sometimes they actually do work. I got mine from a store called AJ Wright, like a Marshalls, and then I can take them back if they don't work. I think they have a year warranty on them. If you return them, they will get the message that they need to work to make them better. (06/13/2005)

By nativegirl

Space Bags Keep Deflating

I bought two boxes a few days ago! I'll be using them tomorrow, cleaning my closets and drawers. I will let you know how they work for me. Meanwhile, I found they had a lot of complaints for one reason or another in the Better Business Bureau site. I wish I had checked sooner. Check it out, San Diego, CA. Web: spacebag.com.

(07/28/2005)

By Diane

Space Bags Keep Deflating

Nothing. Just about everyone is having the same problem. We need consumer action. (06/24/2010)

By liveandlearn900