Advice For Transitioning From Elementary to Junior High School

I'm entering 7th grade this fall and will be going to junior high. It's a lot different then my elementary especially in size. I am very nervous. Do you have any advice for me? Please help!

Emma from Salt Lake City, UT

Hi! I'm a middle school teacher and I can tell you that EVERYBODY is/was/will be nervous! Most of the kids will be kids you went to elementary school with. You'll make new friends and have wonderful experiences. It's been sooo long since I've been a kid that I can't tell you just how others are feeling this year but I've watched MANY middle school kids and they are ALL nervous. Ease up on yourself and just "go with the flow" and you'll be fine. Everybody has been there and people generally want to be helpful. You'll be fine,,,and you'll get lots more responses with much better advice!

Hi Emma, I went to Jr. High in Salt Lake City, so here's a little advice..try and go explore the school before the year starts, so you'll know where all of your classes are before school starts. It makes a big difference when you know your way around, and it won't seem as big. Good luck.

Just put on your best smile and be yourself.

Try not to worry too much about it, because everyone's in the same boat as you are.

It's a natural progression in your life, so smile, be happy and enjoy the experience. These will be some of the best years of your life!

Hi there. I am a substitute teacher in elementary school. I see kids all the time trying to act older. Don't. Try to be yourself, be open and friendly. Remember all the other 7th graders are there for the 1st time too. Going to the school ahead of time is a great idea. Try and meet your teachers too. Find out what clubs are available, and most of all ENJOY IT.

Parenting School AdviceJune 30, 2008
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
Middle School Survival Kit
Making a Middle School Survival Kit
A high school graduate holding a sign that says hire me.
Getting a Job With a High School Diploma
High School Graduation Party Cupcakes
High School Graduation Party Ideas