TroubleshootingComputers

Why Can't I View E-mail on Both My Laptop and Desktop?

I can get my email on my lap top, but when I go to my desktop I can't pull it up. Do I need to access or change the stmp or proxy server or POP or something? Thanks.

By Mary Ellen

It could be you're missing a necessary component on your laptop to access your email. Like Flash or Java. This would be true if your email is on a web site. If the problem is while using Outlook or Pegasus or some other program that fetches your email and puts it on your machine then yeah. It could be your proxy if your email requires one or your POP. If you use the same email program on both your PC and your laptop do a side by side comparison. Make sure all the settings in your laptop match the PC. Good luck.

What program are you using to access your e-mail?

If you're using Outlook Express and want to access your e-mail on both computers, you will need to go to tools, accounts, properties, advanced and check the box at the bottom that says "leave copy of message on server."

You will need to eventually remove all e-mails from the server or you will probably reach your limit.

I use two computers and can access e-mail from both of them. However the one that I use less often has the "leave copy on server" box checked, so that when I use my main computer, I can still download the e-mail there. The main computer does not have that box checked, so after it's downloaded it leaves the server.

I don't know what email service you use but I use hotmail and had the same problem until I realized that I have to sign out of my laptop before I could sign in again on the desktop. Apparently, for security reasons, you can't open hotmail twice on different computers. Hope this helps.