How Do I Remove Dried Toothpaste From Carpet?

My granddaughter squirted toothpaste on the carpet. It is dried in and will not come out with regular cleaning (pine cleaner, carpet shampoo, or dish soap). Is there something I can use to get it out without having to snip my carpet?

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If you're sure it is simply toothpaste, I would lay a damp towel over it until it softens, then try to get it up. The other things you tried may simply not have had long enough to rehydrate the toothpaste, because you cannot leave them on too long. Don't make the towel so wet as to wet the rug, but wet enough to share the moisture with the toothpaste. Be patient; and you might need to dampen the towel a bit now and then, it could take several hours.

I agree with Jilson but it also wouldn't hurt to try using a soft toothbrush (or similar bristle brush) to help loosen it up from between the fibers while the carpet is still dry before soaking and rubbing it up with a rag.

Perhaps the whiten-ing agent in the tooth paste has bleached your rug so I would guess yoou will have to just spip it off - sad to say. Keep us informed on what you end up doing ok? Good luck!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetFebruary 3, 2011
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 7:54:29 AM on 10.0.0.38 in 568 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.