Homemade Toothpaste Recipes

Making your own toothpaste allows you to control what ingredients you use and can also save you money. This is a page about homemade toothpaste recipes. Below you will find recipe shared by every day experts, as well as questions and answers about making your own toothpaste.

Buying healthy products can be very spendy. I have found myself spending close to $5.00 on a tube of toothpaste in my search of finding one that wasn't filled with a long list of chemicals. Then I came across a recipe for homemade toothpaste and have been making it and saving money ever since! It's simple and quick to make and it tastes good.

To make your own toothpaste, just use a fifty/fifty ratio of coconut oil to baking soda. Start with a small batch and use a few tablespoons of each. If you like, add a few drops of an essential oil, like peppermint or spearmint, for flavor. You can add a bit of stevia for sugar-free sweetness. After mixing your toothpaste, keep it in a glass container with a lid. Then just spoon some out for use.

The mixture doesn't need to be refrigerated and because coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal, it will help keep your toothbrush clean and sanitary too. Baking soda is a mild abrasive that provides a gentle cleansing and it's alkaline, so it neutralizes acids in your mouth that are often at the root of tooth decay. Baking soda also absorbs odors and helps produce sweet breath.

By Patricia from Maple Falls, WA

8 More Solutions

When we were very young, we were very poor and I never recall having toothpaste. We always made a paste out of baking soda and water and brushed our teeth with it.

I make my own toothpaste with 3 parts baking soda, 1 part sea salt or Himalayan Salt and enough glycerin to make it flow. I put it back into the glycerin bottle because it has a spout that opens.

I've just made another batch of toothpaste for myself. It's very simple to make and the ingredients are natural and thrifty - the perfect combination!

homemade toothpaste with syringe

Leaves a fresh taste in your mouth.

Does anyone have a recipe for toothpaste?

By lorie

Answers

Best Answer

Baking soda won't bleach your teeth, but it will help get plaque off and make them shine. Be warned that baking soda is an abrasive and if you use it too much, the enamel on your teeth can get damaged. Good luck.

Best Answer

It might be cheaper to make your own toothpaste, but in the long run it might cost you more in dental bills. Store bought toothpaste has fluoride in it which helps protect against cavities. Really, no matter how old we are, if we still have our natural teeth, we need the fluoride. I was a dental assistant for 14 years so I know what I'm talking about. Also, as someone else posted, baking soda can be very abrasive to tooth enamel.

Answer this Question

I use baking soda instead of toothpaste and add a little water. Would it be okay to mix the baking soda with my (leftover) mouthwash, just making it moist, and calling it "toothpaste"? I'm wondering if the solution would damage teeth.

Making your own toothpaste is both easy and cheap.

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes Teeth and MouthAugust 1, 2011
🍂
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Toothpaste-Recipes.html