Make Your Own Toothpaste

Does anyone have a recipe for toothpaste?

By Lorie

Best Answer

Baking soda won't bleach your teeth, but it will help get plaque off and make them shine. Be warned that baking soda is an abrasive and if you use it too much, the enamel on your teeth can get damaged. Good luck.

Best Answer

It might be cheaper to make your own toothpaste, but in the long run it might cost you more in dental bills. Store bought toothpaste has fluoride in it which helps protect against cavities. Really, no matter how old we are, if we still have our natural teeth, we need the fluoride. I was a dental assistant for 14 years so I know what I'm talking about. Also, as someone else posted, baking soda can be very abrasive to tooth enamel.

http://www.ehow  r+own+toothpaste

I really don't know why anyone would want to make their own toothpaste. Just buying all the ingredients to make it would cost you more money, then buying toothpaste at one of the dollar stores.

My father said that when he was in the army they used to brush their teeth with salt! I wouldn't like to do that. Rather than making toothpaste, just look to buy it cheaply and use less of it. You just need a pea-sized blob on a toothbrush, not a one inch strip of toothpaste.

My mother had beautiful teeth and even though she bought us kids and dad, (her husband) regular toothpaste during our years together she seldom used regular toothpaste. She kept a box of baking soda in the medicine cabinet, poured about a teaspoon into her hand, wet her toothbrush and dipped it into her palm to coat her toothbrush before brushing.

She was born during the Great Depression Era of the 1930's and used this solution all of her life. The baking soda also kept her teeth brilliantly white and she had very few (if any?) tooth health issues (cavities, gingivitis, etc.,) in her lifetime.

I can't seem to eliminate toothpaste from my regular routine as I am a product of my generation, but I don't hesitate to use the baking soda method if I accidentally run out of the tube goo!

Just something to consider! :-)

During the war, we mixed (not always equal amounts) salt and baking soda in the palm of the hand that was not brushing the teeth. Wet the toothbrush and take the mixture onto the toothbrush and brush. My dad passed on at 92 with no cavities all his life! I think his genes were part of it, as my mother wasn't so lucky. But maybe having four children contributed to calcium loss. If you are not concerned with flouride, this works well and is very inexpensive. Also, you can use peroxide for brightening - just rinse and hold for a couple of minutes, then spit out.

The answer to those who question why make your own, is that some of us hate mint flavor in toothpaste. It also makes me cough. I found one kids' toothpaste that is strawberry and it was OK. I found an orange toothpaste but it tasted like artificial sweetener. I like the flavor of baking soda. It's not about the cost for me. I'll spend a lot for a good, healthy product.

MCW's suggestion about buying toothpaste at a dollar store is good advice but be sure to check where it is manufactured. I have noticed that a lot of products like this are made in China, where they make a habit of putting nasty ingredients in many of their products. The toothpaste may carry a brand name on the tube, so be very careful.

Be careful when making your own toothpaste or buying your toothpaste at the Dollar Store. If you use the wrong ingredients in your own recipe you can take the enamel off your teeth. As for buying toothpaste at the dollar store, I just read an article in a woman's magazine that said that the toothpastes from China were not that great, and that a lot of them had way too much fluoride in them. Check out the article in Snopes.com for more information:

http://www.snop  d/toothpaste.asp

Pure mustard oil mix with sea salt, massage your teeth by finger teeth become white sighing and may be mix something for better flavor try this formula.