Fix for Flat Paint Not Adhering to Old Paint

By Samantha 1 5

I have painted 3/4 of my kitchen. The problem: I can scrape the paint off with a fingernail. It has been dry for two months. I think that I must have had oil based paint on the walls. Then I painted over that with a flat paint. Can I save these walls without hiring a pro? How can I fix this?

By Samantha from Albany, GA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

At this point, I would call a professional painter and ask their advice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ann Winberg 306 239 Flag

That is exactly what you have. You will have to strip the latex paint and start over. If you want to use latex paint you will have to prime first, you can use an oil base primer then use latex paint but latex paint will not adhere to oil base paint. I always use oil base primer then I don't have to worry what kind of paint I use. Don't feel bad we have all done it. I worked in a paint store for several years so I speak of experience. I also did the same thing in my kitchen.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deanj 917 Flag

Must be old oil base paint. As what Sherwin Williams paint people tell me they are not making oil based paints any more. The problem I think is the base may be oil or enamel paint. This has a very smooth surface and shiny surface. It should have been scuffed up with fine grit sand paper cleaned and then painted. I have painted over oil base paint with latex with no difficulty.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elaine 173 889 Flag

It could be that it was not clean enough before you started painting. Did you use any kind of cleaner and did you rinse it well? Even if it is a semi-gloss paint, and you use a flat over it, you should prime it first if you want it to stick.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMarch 22, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
collection of photos
Making Photo Tiles
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:47:41 PM on 10.0.2.21 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings