Use Kitchen Sponge to Clean Mushrooms

As much as I like eating mushrooms, I dreaded having to clean them. It seemed to take ages and I tended to miss a lot. I somehow started using a clean kitchen sponge, the kind with the two sides. I moisten and squeeze until damp, and use the soft side on the mushrooms. It seems to make the unwanted particles disappear.

If I run into an unwanted blemish, I merely flip the sponge over and use the scrubber side. Needless to say, I now have mushrooms more often.

By Wbuck341 from La Grange Park, IL

Just wanted to add that you can also take just the edge of a paring knife and peel the mushroom. You lose a bit, though not much, and if it's past the point of conveniently washing it, it's a good way to salvage them.

Mushrooms Being Washed in a Sink
Cleaning Mushrooms
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 6, 2009
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake Recipes
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms
🎉
🎄