Cleaning Mushrooms

Category Helpful Hints
Mushrooms often have some of the planting mix still clinging to them when you buy them at the market. This is a guide about cleaning mushrooms.

As much as I like eating mushrooms, I dreaded having to clean them. It seemed to take ages and I tended to miss a lot. I somehow started using a clean kitchen sponge, the kind with the two sides. I moisten and squeeze until damp, and use the soft side on the mushrooms. It seems to make the unwanted particles disappear.

If I run into an unwanted blemish, I merely flip the sponge over and use the scrubber side. Needless to say, I now have mushrooms more often.

By Wbuck341 from La Grange Park, IL

For those of you who like to eat clean mushrooms, use a clean, soft-bristled toothbrush to do the job. The small bristles catch every speck of dirt. Clean the toothbrush by running it through the dishwasher.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Tips for cleaning mushrooms. Post your ideas.

Answers

A soft tooth brush can be used to clean fresh mushrooms.

By IMAQT1962

Most store bought mushrooms these days are grown in sterile compost - just wipe over with a barely damp cloth if required.

Regards

Jo

Alton Brown (Food network) recently did a show on how much water mushrooms absorb when washed and found that it is a very small amount of water. He concluded that is was not a problem to just rinse the mushrooms then pat dry. I think this is way easy then trying to wipe each mushroom with a damp cloth!

I agree with Microjenn, just place in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. My mum used to peel the skin off - but lifes too short!!!!