Using Rice Filled Bags for Back Pain

Is there any way to keep rice bags heated on demand? I thought about keeping a steam pot on the stove on a low flame, so I'd have a non stop run of heated moist rice bags for my lower back. But I don't know if doing so would cook the rice or not, the microwave doesn't cook the rice, so I was wondering?

By Nana

Nana, I would think any kind of steam or moisture would make the rice clump up.Do you have access to a heating pad or is that not an option?

My lady made some bags and filled them with rice. She heats them in the microwave and has'nt had any problems.

Keeper, My chiropractor told me not to use an electric heating pad, because it's a dry heat and it doesn't give the relief that the moist heat of the rice pads/bags do. Foxrun, I heat my rice bags in the microwave, I was just looking for a way to heat three or move bags at once and have a second group waiting for me to swap out when needed.

I guess I need to buy the clay heating pads , then I might be able to place them in a steaming pot. I have a huge stock pot that I can put a raised rack in the bottom of the pot and then fill with 4 cups of water and then let simmer on a very low flame. I could lay the clay heating pads in that.

I just didn't know if the rice bags would work like that. But Keeper is right , it would cook the rice. :(

Thanks guys for the replies .

Nana, they make moist heating pads.I use one all the time.They also make those bags using flax seed,dried beans even corn. Maybe those would work as you want(?). I hope you find a solution and get the relief you need. :)

Someone wrote the following."I just didn't know if the rice bags would work like that. But Keeper is right , it would cook the rice. :(" I checked the bags with the rice in it that my lady had made and has been in the microwave oven many times and the rice is not cooked. Try putting some rice in a dish with no water and see what happens.

Foxrun41, putting the rice pads in the microwave works quite well as they were designed to do however Nana was asking about steaming a few to have at hand for continuous use. That's when I said I thought it would clump it from the steam.

Not sure I fully understand the discussion here, but I use these bags frequently, and would suggest getting more than 1 bag so you could microwave one while using the other. This would allow a constant supply of heat.

Using steam will cook your rice and not give you the effect your looking for. The best way to heat rice for applying heat on your aching body parts is with the microwave.

Could you place them in a dry crock pot set on low?

Your chiropractor also should have told you that heat should only be used for 20 minutes on the hour. If used properly, you would have no need for a continuous supply of hot packs. They make heating pads that give moist heat. They are completely sealed and have a thin spongy pad that you moisten before turning the heating pad on. I think mine cost less than $10.00.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesSeptember 15, 2010
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Air Filled Packing Bag
Uses for Air Filled Packing Bags
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄
🍂