Browsing: Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella

How Do I Paint a Patio Umbrella and Chair Seats?

I would like to paint the seats of my patio chairs. They are made of a plastic material similar to canvas, but not very absorbent. I would also like to paint my canvas table umbrella. Any suggestions?

By Barbara from Cape Vincent, NY

I don't think it's such a good idea to paint them. The paint is likely to peel and crack. Better to leave it alone.

I cant see how the chairs are constructed, but could you remove the fabric and replace it with new cotton duck (canvas) fabric? I dont know of any way to paint that kind of material.

I think the color looks great just as it is! However if you are determined to do something stop in at a local paint or hardware store, perhaps bring a chair with you. Today there are various paints for all kinds of stuff. If you can paint it, why not just use a stencil? Pretty flowers, or tropical birds. Good luck to you.