Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella

Category Furniture
Sun and weather can fade the colors on your patio umbrella. You don't necessarily need to buy a new one, you may be able to refurbish the one you have. This is a guide about refurbishing a faded patio umbrella.

My community has recycling once a month. It is amazing the things you can find that people are throwing out. For example, our deck table needed an umbrella and someone threw one out. It was faded but otherwise in pretty good shape. I decided to spray paint it using an indoor/outdoor paint that is good for wood, metal, and more. I worked perfectly and I have had no problems with the paint running or fading. The umbrella is a little lopsided in the photo but it really isn't crooked!

By Carol from Iowa from IA

I would like to paint the seats of my patio chairs. They are made of a plastic material similar to canvas, but not very absorbent. I would also like to paint my canvas table umbrella. Any suggestions?

By Barbara from Cape Vincent, NY

Answers

I don't think it's such a good idea to paint them. The paint is likely to peel and crack. Better to leave it alone.

I cant see how the chairs are constructed, but could you remove the fabric and replace it with new cotton duck (canvas) fabric? I dont know of any way to paint that kind of material.

I think the color looks great just as it is! However if you are determined to do something stop in at a local paint or hardware store, perhaps bring a chair with you.

Today there are various paints for all kinds of stuff. If you can paint it, why not just use a stencil? Pretty flowers, or tropical birds. Good luck to you.

There is a spray version of the plastic material called dip it (the rubberized plastic that is on the handle of some pliers, wire strippers or garden nips) and comes in various bright colors. I would buy a swatch of similar material from your local sew shop and try it for durability or coat thickness. There are other automotive grade sprays to recolor warn vinyl upholstery that may also do the trick for your chairs. For the umbrella, obviously you could remove the canvas from the frame and redye it the original color, paying attention to the guide to prevent bleeding and retain color fastness, but again, there are flexible spray paints out there nowadays that can recolor just about anything. If you don't mind a darker umbrella, you could even consider a wood stain to impregnant the fibers and regain its water repellancy. Remember you color wheel when using dissimilar colors. Yellow and blue make green, but if you get too crazy it'll end up brown. What ever you do, start clean and dry. You may want to prep the chairs with an alcohol wipe prior to coating for superior adhesion. Clean and dry for best results, and a few thin to win coats are better then one fat goopy spray. Don't get lazy. Tape the chairs off then "dust" the fabric with your choice of flexible paint by holding the can 15" +/- from the work and try to maintain a constant angle of attach (rotate the work keeping the spray can vertical and parallel to the surface for an even uniform application).

Avoid going back over places you missed ("holidays") or areas you feel too lite. You'll get'em next time. 2-3 thin coats following label directions between coats (usually recoat within a short time after initial tackiness is gone, or waiting for coat one to fully cure before next go, as much as 24 hours). If you have questions about the product you choose for the seats, call the mfr! They love to help. You may also want to see if your seat cloth can be removed from the seat frame (sometimes the insert slides out and is held within a channel inside the frame. The material is sewn around a cord or plastic rod that prevents the material from being pulled out. If sew (get it?) Run to Jo Ann Fabrics, find a sunbrella fabric color you like and remake the fabric using the same original technique and cord/rod parts. It'll do you good to learn a new trick and may open up your eyes on tackling other projects that had previously baffled. If it went together once, it'll come apart. The trick is to find the assembly sequence and do it in reverse. Sometimes I even take notes and make a photo line on complex "undo/redo's" like when I rebuild my Triumph motor with bigger pistons. As a DDS, that's not in my line of expertize, but you tube can be a valuable tool. Best Wishes. Dr Bob

Or Harley skulls and crossed pistons in greys and black. The zombie green accent is a perfect start.

Can I use fabric paint or spray paint to refresh outdoor umbrella fabric?

By karen from Lakeville, MA

Answers

Anonymous

Here are instructions on how to paint an outdoor umbrella.
http://garden-d  -own-design.html

Textile medium is available in craft stores.

Does anyone know what I can do to improve the look of a faded out patio umbrella? It looks too difficult to recover. Can it be painted?

Kathie from So. Portland, ME

Answers:

Improving a Faded Patio Umbrella

Depending on the type of material it is, I have seen where people have taken fabric paint and either changed the entire umbrella or added different designs to help improve the looks of it. Even adding things from the craft section of your local store may help. Just because it is faded doesn't mean you can't make it look like it's supposed to be that color! (12/03/2005)