Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella

Category Furniture
Patio Umbrella
Sun and weather can fade the colors on your patio umbrella. You don't necessarily need to buy a new one, you may be able to refurbish the one you have. This is a guide about refurbishing a faded patio umbrella.

My community has recycling once a month. It is amazing the things you can find that people are throwing out. For example, our deck table needed an umbrella and someone threw one out. It was faded but otherwise in pretty good shape. I decided to spray paint it using an indoor/outdoor paint that is good for wood, metal, and more. I worked perfectly and I have had no problems with the paint running or fading. The umbrella is a little lopsided in the photo but it really isn't crooked!

By LoracMc from IA

I would like to paint the seats of my patio chairs. They are made of a plastic material similar to canvas, but not very absorbent. I would also like to paint my canvas table umbrella. Any suggestions?

By Barbara from Cape Vincent, NY

I don't think it's such a good idea to paint them. The paint is likely to peel and crack. Better to leave it alone.

I cant see how the chairs are constructed, but could you remove the fabric and replace it with new cotton duck (canvas) fabric? I dont know of any way to paint that kind of material.

I think the color looks great just as it is! However if you are determined to do something stop in at a local paint or hardware store, perhaps bring a chair with you. Today there are various paints for all kinds of stuff. If you can paint it, why not just use a stencil? Pretty flowers, or tropical birds. Good luck to you.

Can I use fabric paint or spray paint to refresh outdoor umbrella fabric?

By Kann714 from Lakeville, MA

Anonymous

Here are instructions on how to paint an outdoor umbrella.

http://garden-d  -own-design.html

Textile medium is available in craft stores.

Does anyone know what I can do to improve the look of a faded out patio umbrella? It looks too difficult to recover. Can it be painted?

Kathie from So. Portland, ME

Answers:

Improving a Faded Patio Umbrella

Depending on the type of material it is, I have seen where people have taken fabric paint and either changed the entire umbrella or added different designs to help improve the looks of it. Even adding things from the craft section of your local store may help. Just because it is faded doesn't mean you can't make it look like it's supposed to be that color! (12/03/2005)