Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

By lisa 1

I have a female, fixed Boxer that is six years old that started peeing on the floor at night when we are asleep. I work during the day and she is fine. She has full range of the house and she is never crated. I take her out at 6:30 am, 5:30 pm, 8 pm and about 9:30 pm. I have had her for five years and I need help. The vet said she was fine.

By Lisa from Fayetteville, NC

Filter Sort

By Jill 4 738 Flag

First thing you need to do, especially if she was reliably house trained before, it to see the vet to rule out medical issues! She could be suffering from diabetes or other conditions. Once medical issues are ruled you, you can try removing her water a few hours before bedtime. We do that to children, it is not harmful for a healthy dog.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 4 738 Flag

My second post didn't show; so I will re-do it! I see that you did take your dog to the vet first. (Good for you!)

I would start removing her water as soon as she eats her supper. If she doesn't get a supper, I would take it up when you leave for the 8:00 outside trip. We restrict children's water after supper, it is perfectly acceptable to do so with dogs. Several training books I have read suggest only putting water out at certain times each day. But if yours is ok most of the time, see if holding back in the evening helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

How can I stop my female Staffordshire Bull Terrier from using the house as a toilet during the night?

Debbie from UK

Feedback:

RE: Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

Have you considered that your little dog may be afraid of the dark? Try a light outside and see if it helps. Otherwise, it could be too cold.
Is it all the time? Many dogs don't like to get their feet wet if they can help it, so if that's the case, make sure there is a covered area where he can go.

Good luck. (03/07/2006)

By Wendy

When our Cocker started doing so, we leashed her (tied her up) at night. We also do so when we leave the house during the day, because otherwise she will get into the garbage while we are gone. She will not poo or pee when tied up. We have never used a kennel, just a leash beside her basket. Beside her basket is her food and water so we know she would be okay for hours, if need be. (03/07/2006)

By valleyrimgirl

I am a firm believer in crating the dog at night. I do this with my 2 Pomeranians, and my 1 little Yorkie. They will not mess in the crate and as soon as I let them out in the mornings they bolt for the doggie door. This has really helped in keeping the house clean at night. You can get crates at second hand stores and on eBay. You don't have to pay a fortune for a crate and they really come in handy. (03/07/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

Take her out side just before you go to bed, we do this every night, just before we go to bed, we take dogs out, then they sleep all night. (03/07/2006)

By Rosa

Pets Dogs House TrainingSeptember 16, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night
little girl sleeping
Helping Kids Find the Bathroom at Night
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:17:38 PM on 10.0.0.253 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings