Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

I have a female, fixed Boxer that is six years old that started peeing on the floor at night when we are asleep. I work during the day and she is fine. She has full range of the house and she is never crated. I take her out at 6:30 am, 5:30 pm, 8 pm and about 9:30 pm. I have had her for five years and I need help. The vet said she was fine.

By Lisa from Fayetteville, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jill [4]09/17/2010

My second post didn't show; so I will re-do it! I see that you did take your dog to the vet first. (Good for you!)

I would start removing her water as soon as she eats her supper. If she doesn't get a supper, I would take it up when you leave for the 8:00 outside trip. We restrict children's water after supper, it is perfectly acceptable to do so with dogs. Several training books I have read suggest only putting water out at certain times each day. But if yours is ok most of the time, see if holding back in the evening helps.

By Jill [4]09/17/2010

First thing you need to do, especially if she was reliably house trained before, it to see the vet to rule out medical issues! She could be suffering from diabetes or other conditions. Once medical issues are ruled you, you can try removing her water a few hours before bedtime. We do that to children, it is not harmful for a healthy dog.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

How can I stop my female Staffordshire Bull Terrier from using the house as a toilet during the night?

Debbie from UK

RE: Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

Have you considered that your little dog may be afraid of the dark? Try a light outside and see if it helps. Otherwise, it could be too cold. Is it all the time? Many dogs don't like to get their feet wet if they can help it, so if that's the case, make sure there is a covered area where he can go. Good luck. (03/07/2006)

By Wendy

When our Cocker started doing so, we leashed her (tied her up) at night. We also do so when we leave the house during the day, because otherwise she will get into the garbage while we are gone. She will not poo or pee when tied up. We have never used a kennel, just a leash beside her basket. Beside her basket is her food and water so we know she would be okay for hours, if need be. (03/07/2006)

By valleyrimgirl

I am a firm believer in crating the dog at night. I do this with my 2 Pomeranians, and my 1 little Yorkie. They will not mess in the crate and as soon as I let them out in the mornings they bolt for the doggie door. This has really helped in keeping the house clean at night. You can get crates at second hand stores and on eBay. You don't have to pay a fortune for a crate and they really come in handy. (03/07/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

Take her out side just before you go to bed, we do this every night, just before we go to bed, we take dogs out, then they sleep all night. (03/07/2006)

By Rosa