Uses for Pecan Shells

What can I do with pecan shells and is the bitter part off the pecan useful?

By Stanley from Burkburnett, TX

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By kathleen williams 76 1,662 02/07/2010

Pecan shells make great mulch. In many areas of the country, they're readily available and reasonably priced. What's more, they're attractive and an excellent slug deterrent. Slugs don't like to crawl across coarse, jagged surfaces; when they encounter a bed mulched with pecan shells, they tend to head elsewhere. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By laidback arcing 5 9 02/12/2010

Well, this isn't a gardening tip but my dad and I discovered it made good kindling for the fire. We would use the cardboard tube from an empty paper towel roll and add a little torn newspaper in one end then load it up with the pecan shells and add torn newspaper to the other end to close it up. It would flame up and act as a "log".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Rosemarie 4 17 02/13/2010

If you dry them out and put them in a coffee grinder or food processor you could add them to hand soap or melt down a bar of soap and add it to the soap to help scrub things off you can also add it to a sugar body scrub as well. Just make sure that it is chopped pretty well so you dont get cut. You want it to be coarse not jagged.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dorin 4 30 12/03/2010

Seeing youre from Texas, I'm sure you or someone you know barbeques :) They can be added to the fire for an extra taste of pecan smoke. Some bbq places keep buckets of them to add to their fires.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No