Southern Pecan Pie Recipes

3 Solutions

I have gotten rave reviews on this pie. Different than the syrupy kind. This is a combination of half a dozen different pecan pie recipes that I had tried over the years.

Pecan pie is one of my favorites. My father used to make them when I was a child. This is a recipe based on one in an old cookbook that belonged to him. My daughter and I made this version for Christmas and decided to add the leaf motif around the outer edge. Hope you enjoy it.

Total Time: 1.5 hours including prep time

Yield: 8+ slices

Source: Based on recipe from The Encyclopedia of Cookery, 1948

• 1 9 inch pie shell
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 eggs well beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup broken pecans
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • Optional: Dough Leaf Cutouts
  • additional pie crust or dough scraps
  • leaf cookie cutter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Partially bake pie crust, approximately 7-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar.
  4. Add Karo syrup and continue creaming.
  5. Advertisement

6. Blend thoroughly.
  7. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
  8. Break pecans into medium to small pieces and measure.
  9. Beat the eggs into the bowl with the sugar, butter, and syrup mixture. Add the salt, vanilla, and nuts.
  10. If you are going to add the leaf accents, roll out your pastry scraps now and prepare your shapes. We had a small leaf cookie cutter, but you can free hand cut them as well.
  11. Advertisement

12. Turn filling into partially baked pastry shell (add leaves) and return to 350 degree F oven.
  13. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the filling is completely set.
  14. Cover the edges with foil or a pie edge cover at approximately 45 minutes, to prevent the edge from getting too brown.
  15. Check with a toothpick to make sure the filling is completely set.
  16. Let cool to room temperature. Slice and serve. Yummy.
  17. Advertisement

This time my daughter and I decided to dress the pie up a bit by adding leaf shapes to the outer edge. For this you would need to use an additional frozen crust or use the scraps, if you make your own dough.

Videos

My father liked to make pecan pie. This recipe is based on one in an old cookbook that belonged to my father. Watch this video and learn how my daughter and I made it.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies PecanAugust 29, 2017
😷
📓
🎂
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Southern-Pecan-Pie-Recipes.html