Getting Rid of Webworms on Pecan Trees

Category Pest Control
Web worms are the larval stage of a small white moth. They typically appear on pecan and other trees in late summer and early fall. Sprays, both organic and chemical, can be used. Breaking the web and allowing birds to feast has worked for one reader. This is a guide about getting rid of web worms on pecan trees.

All the pecan trees in our area are wrapped up with these webs. Can someone tell us what these worms turn into? Do you know how to get rid of them?

By naturelover from NC

Answers

Best Answer

That looks like fall webworm. It can reduce crops in pecans. Here's some info from your state university: http://www.ces. … te46/note46.html

Best Answer

I live in North Carolina too and believe me I don't like these worms any more than you. I have had a great deal of success by spraying them with wasp and hornet killer. They are too high for me to climb to get them and most of my neighbors cut the limbs and burn them. I just use the spay and haven't had any now for two years.

Best Answer

I live in Texas and have had the same problem with webworms. They will decrease the pecan crop on your trees. I have found the easiest solution is it to take a long pole, head out in the evening, and poke holes in the webbing.

Then the birds can get in and will eat the worms and the web will disappear. My crop has increased greatly since. That is much easier for me than trying to spray them.

Thanks for all the information. I had a can of hornet spray that had only one squirt left in the can. Sunday afternoon, I sprayed just a little on a web and the next day, the worms were dead.

The tree is covered with webs and all the leaves are about gone. Next year, if the tree lives, I'll get an early start on keeping these worms under control.