Getting Rid of Webworms on Pecan Trees

Category Pest Control
Web worms are the larval stage of a small white moth. They typically appear on pecan and other trees in late summer and early fall. Sprays, both organic and chemical, can be used. Breaking the web and allowing birds to feast has worked for one reader. This is a page about getting rid of web worms on pecan trees.

All the pecan trees in our area are wrapped up with these webs. Can someone tell us what these worms turn into? Do you know how to get rid of them?

By littergitter from NC

Answers

Best Answer

That looks like fall webworm. It can reduce crops in pecans. Here's some info from your state university: www.ces.ncsu.edu/.../note46.html

Best Answer

I live in North Carolina too and believe me I don't like these worms any more than you. I have had a great deal of success by spraying them with wasp and hornet killer.

They are too high for me to climb to get them and most of my neighbors cut the limbs and burn them. I just use the spay and haven't had any now for two years.

Best Answer

I live in Texas and have had the same problem with webworms. They will decrease the pecan crop on your trees. I have found the easiest solution is it to take a long pole, head out in the evening, and poke holes in the webbing. Then the birds can get in and will eat the worms and the web will disappear. My crop has increased greatly since. That is much easier for me than trying to spray them.

Will high water pressure break the nest so birds can get to them?

Answers

You need an insecticide that will kill the pests.

Anonymous

How would that be good for the birds?

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlAugust 30, 2017
🍀
🐰
🌻

Generated 2020-02-18 21:37:10 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️