Older Dog Has Started Chewing on Things

I have had my Pomeranian mix for 10 years. She has cataracts and is just about blind, however that is not my problem. I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks, she has started chewing on the carpet, blankets, pillowcases. Whatever is close to where she is sleeping.

She is old. I'm wondering if possibly her teeth are bothering her. Can someone help? I love her so much and don't want her to be in pain if that's the case. Thank you.

By famousamos1206 from Wilmington, DE

If you haven't taken her to the vet to have her teeth checked, that's a good place to start.

It sounds as if she does have teeth and gum problems. She needs to see the vet, as any infection that goes under the gums can go to her heart, just like a human. In addition to that, the infection can get into the jaw bones and cause all sorts of problems.

Cataracts, fix narurally. First drop or 2 of cold process flax oil, 5 to 30 mins later, drop or 2 of gentle eye drops with 15% MSM ( about 1 teaspoon for an ounce) start 3 times a day. Takes a while because catarats come off in layers. Length of treatment varies with each cataract. Teeth see a vet. Build immune system. She may have stomach upset.

Muttmom again. Your little one need some Willadwater xxx to help with her teeth and general health. Another is colloidal silver water.

People, whenever your dog has a problem you think may be medical, don't ask questions here, which takes days or more to answer. Go to the vet ASAP! Would you ask about your sick child here? How can anyone here know what I wrong with your beloved pet without seeing him?

I agree with "lindal". Please take her to the vet ASAP.

She's been to the vet! Her teeth are in great shape. Nobody answered my question, you fed into what my fear was. And then attacked me for it. Of all the responses that I got back, only 1 was nice enouph to actually give me advice instead of talking to me like an idiot. I have found the answer to my problem, and it wasnt from any of you know it alls! Thank you to the person that gave me advice about the cataracts.

My senior dog (almost 16) has also started chewing on his bed or a towel if lying on one. You never mentioned what you found out I would be curious. Thank you

I wish I had some tips for you; however, I just wanted to let you know that your precious one is adorable. As a dog/cat lover I hope someone can give you some helpful advice. As for those who question you and or ridicule you, just remember there are many many more people out there who wish you well! :-) Good luck to you and your four legged child.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 18, 2009
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum