Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Help with Water Bath Canning

Can you use water bath canning for vegetables? I am putting up black eyed peas, beans, and squash.

By Lisa from Tampa, FL

By Jeanne B. [1]12/20/2013

I really don't have an answer but need to know the same thing. I did do some fresh green beans the other day. The jars did seal just fine. I hot bathed for a longer time than the pressure cooker.

By Grandma J [46]07/14/2010

I get a newsletter from BALL which is the foremost information on canning, recipes, and safety!
Questions about Products or Home Canning? Click here or call toll free 1-800-240-3340.
Comments regarding this newsletter? Click here.
http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALContact.asp
comments@jardenhomebrands.com
I love their canning books. Simple instructions for the better part.

By Patricia Hamm [4]07/14/2010

Try this link; it may help you:

http://foodsafety.psu.edu/canningguide.html

By Heather Priems [1]07/13/2010

All food authorities do not approve of water bathing vegetables however both my grandmother's did and nobody died from food poisoning. It is up to you, but be aware that it is now not approved.

By Tapestry Lady [2]07/13/2010

Low-acid foods like those need to be pressure canned, otherwise the heat isn't high enough to destroy botulism. The USDA has a really useful guide:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Help with Water Bath Canning

I am looking for directions in water bath canning of potatoes and also dry beans. I need to know how to do it and how much time after water bath canner starts to boil. Thank you.

Helen from Tunnelton, WV

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

I am not so sure you want to water bath can dried beans unless you have cooked them first. Dried beans will eventually soak up the water in the jar, expand and probably break the seal if not the whole jar.

I can baked beans by first making a batch of baked beans in the crock pot. While still hot I spoon into a clean sterilized warm jar then seal in my canner. I use a steam canner so it only takes about 10 minutes to get a good seal.

I never did potatoes on their own, but the process doesn't change a lot. I am sure there are some websites that could help.

If you really want to store the dry beans for a long time you might consider an vacuum sealer. I have a Vacupak that has a hose and cover for sealing canning jars. pmgquality.com Incredibly handy item and I use it for tons of things. Even storing old paint! (01/31/2008)

By CascadeMom

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

I canned pinto beans which had to be precooked (?time), according to Ball Blue Book (probably on web too), but I had to use a pressure canner. (01/31/2008)

By PIKKA

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

Neither has a high enough acid content to safely use a water bath canner. You'd have to use a pressure canner for both. (02/01/2008)

By susanmajp

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

My Kerr Home canning book says 180 minutes (pts. or qts.) for potatoes (Irish). Wash, and scrape small, new potatoes. Pack raw or boil 3 minutes. Add boiling water. We always added 1/2 teaspoon (pts.) 1 teaspoon (qts.) of salt. Wash jars in warm soapy water, then boil in clear water for at least 15 minutes. Scald Lids by placing in a pan and pouring boiling over them. Do not boil, but let stay in water until ready to use. Make sure the rims of the jars are nick free. Be sure to use new lids. Fill one at a time, using a clean knife go around the inside of jar to release air bubbles. Wipe rim clean; put on lid and ring firmly. Tighten by hand.

After canning set jars upright 2 to 3 inches apart on dish towel over night. Do not set in a draft or on a cold wet surface. Do not cover. They will pop when sealed, the lid is curved down. Refrigerate any that did not seal. Fresh beans or peas can be canned the same way. Good luck. (02/01/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

I'm sure Cindy in Texas means well, but please, don't can potatoes (or fresh beans or peas) in a boiling water bath. It simply doesn't get hot enough to absolutely kill all botulism spores. Those items MUST be canned in a pressure canner. Don't risk it, botulism is odorless and you can't tell if it is in your low-acid water bath-canned items. Botulism KILLS. (02/05/2008)

By Katie A.

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

Yes, I have canned many years both in a water bath and pressure cooker, and botulism can kill, but I have canned many vegetables in a water bath for many years and never had problems with botulism. My M-I -L showed me how and she canned that way most of her life until she was in her late 60's and started to buy in the store. People were canning vegetables including potatoes and beans in water baths long before we had pressure canners.

As with any food people have to use common sense. The best thing to do if your afraid of botulism is to buy a book on canning like I did. I got my from Kerr. It has canning water bath; pressure canning; freezing, and making jellies, and pickles. If you buy a pressure canner do not store it in a hot place as the attic or the heat will ruin the seal like it did mine. (02/05/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

RE: Help with Water Bath Canning

Katie is absolutely right! Please use a pressure canning method. The government says that it just is not safe to use the water bath bath method; it takes the higher temperatures of the pressure canner to completely kill the botulism bacteria. Happy canning, stay safe with pressure canning! You can't go wrong. (02/06/2008)

By tyara