Growing Kale Seedlings

I grew some kale seedlings in my kitchen on the countertop. They are very spindly. They do not appear to be sturdy enough to survive the night outdoors nor rain. I have been putting them in a sunny spot during the day, and back in the garage at night. How can I thicken the stems or toughen them up?

Holly from Richardson, TX

You're right--if plants don't have enough light, they will really s-t-r-e-t-c-h to find it and in the process, get spindly. Putting them out in the sun each day will help.

If you are past freezing, go ahead and put them out if they are big enough. You can put Wall 'o Waters around them to protect them, or you can cut the bottom off gallon milk jugs and put those over the plants for a few weeks.

Growing Kale
Growing Kale
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingApril 18, 2007
closeup of a cabbage
Growing Brassicas
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
Kale Salad
Kale Salad Recipes
Growing Ornamental Kale