Cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol

contest winner icon

I bought a large mirror at the Goodwill several months ago. No matter what I tried to clean it with, it still had streaks and spots that would not come off. Several family members tried to clean it for me, but nothing worked. I thought I was going to have to replace it but then I remembered a old fashioned way to clean mirrors from years ago.

Just put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or soft cloth and rub on mirror. It will be clean and spot free with little rubbing. You can also clean your mirrors in the bathrooms and the faucets. It eliminates germs on many surfaces and cleans them for little cost. You can clean your phone, counter-tops, and many other things. You can get a bottle for less than a dollar. Try it, it really works!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Sometimes the old-fashioned way really is best.

It also works great on faucets, tea kettles, and toasters. No expensive degreaser needed.

Not good for respiratory.

Does the kind of alcohol make a difference? I tried cleaning my bathroom mirrors and a couple of windows with alcohol & they came out very streaky & looked terrible. I had to do the job over with something else.

Thanks that was a good idea for my bathroom mirror. It is very old. I also found that rubbing alcohol work on any Pyrex pans or bakeware. I am convinced that is how you get them so perfectly clear.

Good share! I remember this suggestion years ago from a housecleaning manual, about how to freshen bathrooms quickly with a little rubbing alcohol on a pad of tissue. If the alcohol odor bothers some, try one of the vinegar based cleaning sprays instead.

Try not to get the edges of the mirror wet (saturated with the cleaning product) because that might tend to take the finish off the back in some mirrors, especially an old one.

Pixiedust7: this is rubbing alcohol, available in the first aid & health care aisle of your supermarket. What kind were you using?

I do the same cleaning with vinegar.

Does rubbing alcohol work on vinyl floors?

All that cleaning and you never tried Windex? It's active ingredient is rubbing alcohol!

Yes, it will work on vinyl floors.

One huge advantage to alcohol based glass cleaners is that they will not allow a film buildup on the glass after you use them. Windex does allow a buildup, requiring you to keep cleaning the mirror ever couple weeks. I cleaned house for many years and this saved me a lot of time. I buy the alcohol based cleaner sold in the auto section. I then clean mirrors once a year whether they need it or not.

Cleaning With Alcohol
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesJuly 7, 2010
Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol Stain on Wood Furniture
Champagne glasses at a wedding.
Serving Alcohol at a Wedding
can of denatured alcohol and terrycloth rag
Cleaning with Denatured Alcohol
A bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Fixing Rubbing Alcohol Stains on Wood
🎉
🎄