Sending Coupons To College Student

contest winner icon

My daughter is away at college and she loves to get mail. Whenever I send her a card I like to enclose a little surprise, something that will fit inside a card like a bookmark, flat decorative magnet, stickers, shampoo samples, etc.

Lately I have been sending coupons for the foods she likes, makeup she uses and cleaning supplies. She called me last week all excited and said, "Mom, guess what? I saved $13 at the store because they were taking double coupons." She is now becoming a thrifty person like her mom.

By Luv to cook from NC

You must be so proud! My 10 year old has started to help me clip coupons. She is always looking for the clearance rack at the store.

You are doing such a good thing teaching her this.

http://www.savi  ri.blogspot.com/

That's great that she uses them. I like to go to the Wallet Pop site & look at their freebies section. Last week I was able to get 3 samples (a woman's razor, 2 coffee flavor packets, & something else). You could have this stuff sent directly to your daughter. I check the site every day or 2. The Walmart's site also has a lot of give-aways.

How proud you must be!!

My nephew in college uses coupons, too, but I never could get his Mom, my sister to use them. Like I always say, "money saved at the grocery, etc. with coupons is money that can be used elsewhere!"

Great idea. I did the same with my college aged granddaughter. Get your daughter to learn the coupon rules of each store near her as all but 2 grocery stores near me double coupons every day in SC. My granddaughter lived in the Sorority House the last few years of college and had her Sorority Sisters using the coupons I sent. When she got out on her own, she really valued the coupons, said, "I didn't know how much it cost to buy things for the house and my personal items". Her Mother had been paying for her expenses while in college.

While this a cute and somewhat practical idea, it's also outdated. Virtually all paper coupons are now also available online. In fact, there are often better discounts and many more coupons online because manufacturers don't have to pay for advertising, paper, ink, storage and shipping with online coupons. The savings are then often passed onto the consumer. A person can simply search for his/her products and print out what's needed. In fact, smartphone uses often don't have to print out anything at all. Some stores can simply scan the barcode image displayed on your phone!

Sites like CouponSuzy, CouponMom and many other not only offers coupons, but they also can email them to you depending on your tastes. Furthermore, users can trade coupons and alert each other to sales. Just search the internet with the word "coupon" to see a list of such sites.

Your idea would have been wonderful 10 years ago (and it's still wonderful today), but the fact is, most college students are much more Internet-saavy than you and me. In fact, they prefer online banking to physical banking, ebooks to real books, email to real mail, etc. In other words, you might be wasting your time when your daughter could do it more efficiently herself online. Regardless, I'm sure she appreciate the thought and effort, and all your other goodies.

www.couponsuzy.com/

www.couponmom.com