Cutting Packing Styrofoam

What's the best way to cut Styrofoam that has been used for packing?

By madimay~ from Kissimmee, FL

Best Answer

I have always used heat to cut the white foam, I initially stuck a piece of metal clothes hanger in the end of my soldering iron, but I now have bought a foam cutter from a crafts store which is more efficient. They make 1 which is battery operated with a very thin piece of wire it looks like a coping saw. The 1 I have looks more like my soldering iron, but with a much finer wire coming out of it and better heat control. The main thing to remember is the fumes that come off the melting foam are toxic so do it outside or in a well ventilated area.

There are two different ways. One is to use a serrated knife or you can use an electric knife. Oh, I just remembered they make a tool that you plug in and the heated blade melts through it. Craft stores have them.

You can also use an x-acto knife.

White Styrofoam box on a white background
Cutting Styrofoam
Crafts AdviceSeptember 29, 2010
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Styrofoam Packing Peanuts
Recycling Styrofoam
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 2, 2017 at 8:43:30 PM on 10.0.2.70 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.