Cutting Styrofoam

There are a number of ways that you can successfully cut Styrofoam to use for crafts or packing. This is a page about cutting Styrofoam.

What's the best way to cut Styrofoam that has been used for packing?

By madimay~ from Kissimmee, FL

Answers

Best Answer

I have always used heat to cut the white foam, I initially stuck a piece of metal clothes hanger in the end of my soldering iron, but I now have bought a foam cutter from a crafts store which is more efficient. They make 1 which is battery operated with a very thin piece of wire it looks like a coping saw. The 1 I have looks more like my soldering iron, but with a much finer wire coming out of it and better heat control. The main thing to remember is the fumes that come off the melting foam are toxic so do it outside or in a well ventilated area.

Your excellent info on painting Styrofoam leads me to you now. I have spent a small fortune, for an artist and sculptor, to create my collage/head. It is due on Monday by noon. My art league is very serious and I've spent weeks building up to this final step, using newsprint and good magazine pieces, to seal all over head.

Now I'm worried if I use a water-base adhesive, it will crumble. What do you think of a regular, but quality, spray mount? and how should I cut from the bottom, to enlarge the head for the 3" armature, which will give it such a great, heavy feel.

Thank your in advance so much.

Answers

Hello !
I use hacksaw blades to cut styrofoam and it works well even when using the cheapest type of blades. If you do not have time to go and buy them you can try a sawtooth bread knife.
Hope this helps !
Catherine

I USE AN ELECTRIC BREAD KNIFE ...WE USED THAT IN THE FABRIC STORE THAT I WORKED IN. IT WORKS BETTER THAN ANY THING I HAVE TRYED. I GOT MY ELECTRIC KNIFE AT GOODWILL, INSTEAD OF USING MY GOOD ONE

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 8, 2016
🎃