Dressing Kids in Matching Outfits

contest winner icon

Because of our work schedules, my husband usually gets our 2 year old son dressed in the morning. He's a wonderful father, but heaven help him, he cannot put matching outfits together very well!

To make things easier, I made up a set of hangers with the days of the week on them. On Sundays, I go through my son's closet and put outfits together, then hang one on each "day of the week" hanger. On weeknights, I take out the outfit for the next day and hang it on a hook that's next to our son's changing table.

That way, my husband has an outfit all set to go in the morning. And I can rest assured that my son won't be going out in public looking like he chose his outfit himself!

By Lisa

I have a kind of similar issue with my husband, but it's about his clothes for him to wear to work! You see, my husband is color blind. He can not tell the difference between blues, greens and grays or blacks. To him, they all look the same, though some may look darker than others, he can not distinguish between them. I've had to separate his clothes in the closet by what goes together so he can dress himself in the morning! ;-)

Actually--I think this is a "guy" thing don't you? I mean, most men (but not all) have a difficult time pulling together children's outfits. In order to make it easy on my husband, I bought organizers for my children's closets---you know, the ones that hang from the bar and have "shelf compartments" that are marked with the days of the weeks. I place everything for the day all together, including shoes, hair stuff, underclothes, socks, and of course--the perfectly matching outfit. This has worked not only for my husband, but also for my kids as well, since they are now getting old enough to dress themselves for the day. I can now leave the house very confident knowing that even though I did not dress my children, they will look as if I did dress them.

What a cute story! Well I think it is very nice that your hubby dresses your son and it is probably not much trouble for you to put the outfits together. It makes it easier for him, he doesn't have to even think about it and then you feel better knowing your son is wearing a matched outfit. My husband helps a lot with our children and sometimes the outfits he's come up with have been less than perfectly matching but I usually don't criticize him because I'm grateful for his help. I figure if they are going out clean, that's the main thing LOL!

I still choose my children's outfits ea day and they are 8 and 6....I don't know how much longer it will last, especially with our 8 yr old daughter but I am enjoying as long as I can. I go in after they are awake and lay out an outfit or sometimes I fix an outfit up in their closets the night before.

Photo of kids clothing in a closet.
Organizing Kids Clothes
Parenting General Parenting Getting OrganizedAugust 29, 2005
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Frog Costume
🎉
🎄