Cleaning the Inside of Clear Glass Christmas Ornaments

By Judi 2 12

I bought a couple of boxes of clear glass ball ornaments a couple of years ago. I decided that this year I was finally going to stencil them or paint them. The boxes had never been opened before. They were really dirty. I wiped they off, the dirt is on the inside. I did try swishing it in some water, but nothing works. I don't know what to do, some of the spots are really big. I don't think the paint will cover it. I wanted to put the different colors of paint on the inside.

Any suggestions? I can't paint freehand on the outside because I shake to much. Thanks for any help you can give me.

By Judi from Delhi, ON

Showing: Answers Sort

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

Try the old restaurant "clean the coffee pot" method. Crush some ice and add salt to it and put it inside (Yes, I realize the ice will need to be small, use a small funnel if you have one). Swish it around and around for a minute or two or however long it takes to get it clean. Repeat if necessary. I have no idea if this will work, I am winging it. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jean leiner 15 411 Flag

You could try making a warm water and 1/2 cup of dishwasher powder detergent, submersing the balls in it, or filling each one with it and letting them soak overnight. Rinse well and let air dry. The cheap brand from the dollar store would work if you don't have a dishwasher. If this does not work, is it possible the spots are in the glass rather than on it? Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Besides what thriftyvicki mentions for coffee pots; hairstylists use salt and warm water to get any dried on gunky residual color out of color applicator bottles so I don't see why it wouldn't work in this case for you. Just pour in some salt and then fill with water about half way, place your thumb over the ornament hole, shake vigorously and rinse. You may need to do it twice but most likely only once. :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jillian 3 28 Flag

Get a small baby bottle nipple brush and soak your ornaments in dawn dish soap and hot water. Hopefully the brush will fit nicely inside the ornament and I'm sure the Dawn will clean the glass nicely.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sharon Cross 19 61 Flag

After washing the inside with soap and water and letting the ornaments dry. Try pouring rubbing alcohol into the ornaments and swish it around, then pour out the alcohol. You could probably reuse the alcohol, for a number of ornaments.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elaine 173 889 Flag

Maybe the tablets one would use to clean dentures would work. I have heard of them being used for other cleaning projects. You would have to break the tablet in pieces in order to get it in the ornament.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary Lou 14 765 Flag

Since they are glass ornaments, remove the top caps and use whatever mixture or liquid spray you use to clean your windows. Perhaps if you cannot remove the staining or etching or whatever it is, you might try pouring craft paint inside the balls, swirling it around until coats the inside of the glass. Place upside down in a paper or styro cup until the excess paint drains out and turn it over and allow to dry overnight. Then stencil or paint on the outside.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer 33 93 Flag

Use sand, water, and a little bit of dish detergent. Shake vigoruosly and rinse out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 45 303 Flag

Use a paint brush to get down into the ornament. I just did that. Also used paint brushes to "spread" the paint inside that just wouldn't "move around". Good luck and they make wonderful gifts. I also used tiny thin two sided tape and then glittered (on the outside). Tie a pretty bow/hanger and there you go! Merry Christmas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

nubby purple Christmas ornament
Cleaning Christmas Ornaments
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning GlassDecember 16, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
nubby purple Christmas ornament
Cleaning Christmas Ornaments
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:10:20 AM on 10.0.2.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings