Keeping Deep Fry Oil From Becoming Rancid

Why does the oil stored in my electric fryer begin to smell like paint thinner and get rancid? Is there a way to stop this from happening? Thanks.

By Brenda from AL

Strain the oil after using it, then refrigerate the oil until you need it again. I wouldn't reuse the oil too many times, either, as the quality deteriorates.

I strain the oil and then store it in the freezer. Works great for me.

One way is strain the oil and the other, you can delay the process by putting a piece of carrot in the oil while frying.

Try putting a paper coffee filter in a wire mesh strainer and straining the oil that way. I agree is should be stored in the fridge if you will be reusing it frequently, otherwise the idea of using a freezer for storage seems better. Also agree that to many reuses break down the oil quality.

I use an old coffee pot that has a strainer at the top. This strains the crumbs out and the oil is on the bottom. Oil last's forever this way and spoon the crumbs in the trash.

All cooking oil deteriorates and gets rancid over time, especially once it's been used and left out in room temperature. Even when stored unused in an unopened bottle, oil will eventually go bad. But you can make deep fryer oil last longer and reuse it more often by filtering out the food particles immediately after use, and then freezing it. Also, do not let the temperature of the fryer exceed 360 degrees F, to minimize oxidation of the oil. Moisture and acids from the food, however, will still remain in the oil and cause it to break down, and there's really no way to remove that. It's best to use safflower oil, as it's more resistant than other oils to being broken down over time by high temperatures.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 25, 2010
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey