Benefits of Almond Milk

I would like to learn more about almond milk and it's benefits. Is it better than drinking 1% milk or light soy milk? I recently made some homemade almond milk, but it was kinda gristly even after blanching. How do I make it smoother?

Aliesha

The best and easiest thing for you to do is go to the fake milk aisle and compare the nutrition labels. People love to tout advertising for various "health" foods but few are actually healthy.

You should also look at the ingredient labels. How many chemicals and additives you enjoy consuming so one food can be covered over to taste like another is a personal preference.

The nutrition in FF milk is better and the cost is significantly less than the fakes, especially is you look for sales.

Personally, I use the FF organic real milk or buttermilk and eat a few almonds or peanuts a day as a snack or added to a healthy bread I bake once a week.

The fakes are too sweet for me (all chemicals aside) and the calorie count is the same or more than the FF milk. And I agree with you on tasting the grittyness of the fake milks. They're a little like a powdered milk that never fully dissolves...

Tip-If you need a "heavier" milk or cream for recipes, blend fat free cottage cheese with FF milk to the thickness you desire. You'll never taste the difference.

I use almond milk. I became a vegetarian since I had breast cancer 2 years ago. I do not make it myself but I buy it in the market. The brand is Blue Diamond and they have it in natural flavor or vanilla. I buy the natural flavor and I use it to cook like mash potatoes, sauces, baking all kind of things that call for regular milk and it works good. The soy milk is not good for people that had breast cancer because soy contains estrogen like components.

Are you soaking the almonds first? You'll get better milk that way. Then you have to strain it really well. If you are serious about drinking different milks, there are several types of milk-makers on the market. Mine makes soy, almond, rice, sesame, or milk from any type of seeds or nuts. Just do an internet search. Mine cost around $100, but I have used it for years. It is so much cheaper than buying milk constantly, and the milk is fresh with no additives for flavor and preservation. I've even started canning my homemade milk for convenience. Homemade milks are fresh, tasty, money-saving, and have several health benefits.

Almond Milk
Using Almond Milk
Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingAugust 22, 2008
Almond Milk
Making Almond Milk
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎄