Turkey Carcass for Broth and Meat

Never throw out a turkey carcass, even after you think you have picked off about all the meat you can. I start by taking the bones and breaking them up to fit in my large crockpot, along with a couple of carrots, a cut up onion, a Tbsp. of dried basil, a tsp. of kosher salt, then cover it in water. Not only can you simmer it on low for 8-10 hours to get a great broth for use in any recipe you need it for, you won't believe how many bits of turkey meat you will find after straining the bones and liquid through a colander. I did this and got about 3 cups of meat that otherwise would have gotten tossed along with the bones. You just have to take a little time to pick it out after the bones cool off!

By Debbie from Fisher, Illinois

Absolutely right! But I just break down the rib cage a bit, then simmer it right in the roasting pan - that way, it soaks off all the baked-on drippings and adds their flavor to the broth for soup. Yum!

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 25, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎉
🎄