Removing Poop Odor from Carpet

My son takes his diaper and he has smeared poop all over his walls and floor. How do I get the smell out of his rug?

By Amy from Orlando, FL

My son has autism and has done this more times than I want to admit. I have found scrubbing the floor with a cloth that is soapy from liquid Irish Spring gets rid of the smell.

Anyone that has kids has this problem. I use a formula that is 1 quart of warm water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 1 drop of Dawn or any other good dish detergent. The vinegar will smell like vinegar, but it evaporates in a little while and will help the water and detergent bind and be more effective. I keep it in a spray bottle under the sink. I have 3 dogs so you can only imagine the messes I have had to clean up.

If the carpet padding is what is stinky, you can let the spray settle into the fibers before blotting it up. This mix is non-toxic, cheap, and effective. I have used this formula for almost 20 yrs. on clothes, rugs, tile, wood flooring, ceramic tile and whatever comes along. So far I have not had any fibers bleach or fade.

I haven't had this specific problem (poop smeared onto things), but I have several cats who have had mishaps. I picked up some enzymatic cleaner, which breaks down the organic stuff. We got ours from Petsmart (I think it is their brand - Petzyme). Best of luck. I hope your little one stops doing this soon!

I've sprinkled dry coffee grounds on rugs, let it sit for several hours and then vacuum or shake outside and it's helped me with odors before. Good luck!

Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets  0 Layout Assign
Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetDecember 9, 2009
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
🎉
🎄