Laundry RecipesCleaning Supply Recipes

Homemade Napisan Recipe

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows of a homemade Nappy Soaking Powder Recipe? We have a product called Napisan down here but it's so expensive. I was hoping to make a similar product from scratch. Thanks

Kelly from Queensland, Australia

Why don't you email the manufacturers and ASK them what the ingredients are? They should have an email address on the container somewhere. You COULD say you have allergies and need to know what the ingredients are. Depends on how you feel about doing that.

When I had little ones, I used a cup of laundry detergent and a cup of bleach in a diaper pail of water to soak the diapers (nappy). Then I just ran them through the regular cycle in the washing machine using no additional laundry products.

If you're not comfortable picking the brains of the manufacturer and have time, you can jot down the active ingredients listed on the box while in the store, rather than buying a box to read. It wouldn't surprise me if borax was one of those active ingredients. I used to soak nappies in soapy water with borax rather than bleach. The ammonia in the urine might react with bleach, and babies have awfully sensitive skin, too!

It's mostly sodium percarbonate.

Anonymous

I have just checked out the price of sodium percarbonate and it's cheaper to buy Aldi's version.