Does Homemade Laundry Detergent Really Get Clothes Clean?

Category Laundry
This is a guide about whether homemade laundry detergent really gets clothes clean. Many people are skeptical about whether homemade laundry detergents work as well as store bought ones. Here is some feedback and recipes from people that use homemade detergents.

Has anyone tried making their own laundry detergent? I read a recipe which used Fels Naptha soap, borax, and Arm and Hammer Super washing soda. It makes 10 gallons. You use 5/8ths of a cup per regular load. Does it clean regular clothing, etc.? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

By SANDI from Scotland, CT

Answers

Best Answer

I make laundry powder using 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup soda ash, 1 cup Borax, 15 drops of whatever essential oil I happen to like at the moment, then whisk it all together until blended. My favorite scent is Lily of the Valley; many people think of it as "fresh linen". My husband loves the smell. For a big tough guy, he has remarkably sensitive skin and this detergent doesn't bother him at all. His work coveralls & jeans get very dirty but this does the trick. I only use about 1/4 cup. I gave some to a friend for Christmas (she had admired the scent) and she uses it for her fine hand-washables.

I made my own powdered laundry detergent once and won't waste money making any more. By the time that I bought all of the necessary ingredients which were Fels Naptha soap, Borax, and Arm and Hammer Super washing soda to make it I found it was much cheaper actually buying liquid laundry detergent at the dollar stores.

I stay away from major brands and buy the off brands. So much cheaper in the long run.

We make our own and love it. I have daily clothing alon with work uniforms. It cleans as well as store-bought also we love it because there is no strong fragrance to it. Even with fels naphtha bar it almost scent free . A major plus because when it come to handling our honeybees we can't have any scents or fragrance on us. I guess it all depends on if you have a Lot of laundry to do and if you can get the ingredients at good price to. We make the liquid and it was
Cheaper than the powder, also for a family of three it lasts 5-6 months.

Yes, I made this exact soap and used it and also gave it for Christmas gifts one year....BUT I don't recall it calling for that much soap per wash, it was more like 1/4 cup. Please review that part.